Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Saving config in 3.2

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Glenview, Illinois
    Posts
    72

    Saving config in 3.2

    I just downloaded Knoppix 3.2. It looks great and hase many more features over 3.1, but I can't seem to retrieve my config files after a save. I saved them to the floppy, but when booting, Knoppix can't find them. I've tried "knoppix myconfig=scan" and "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" as it says to use after a config save to floppy. I also tried many other cheats to no avail. Also, Open Office is in German, even though I downloaded an "en" iso and use the lang=us startup cheat. Should I copy the files on the CD to the hard drive, along with the config files in the same directory, as I did with 3.1?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    I don't know how you can save you're configs to a floppy. My config file is way over 1.44Mb. Try saving it to your HD or maybe a usb flash mem card. I cheat coded everything I needed at first and then saved my ~9Mb config file to my HD. Everytime I boot in, I only have to enter "knoppix myconfig=scan' and it includes all the other cheat codes as they're part of my configs. That includes browser bookmarks, wheelmouse, XFree86, skins for Mozilla, app customization files, etc. It all comes back except my wall paper. That's because knoppix won't auto mount the HD partitions so KDE can't fetch the wallpaper. But KDE still has the location mapped so you just manually load it after bootup through the desktop configuration menu.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    How can I save my config file to HD?
    When I go to Start Applications > KNOPPIX > Configure > Save KNOPPIX Configuration, it doesn't list my HD.
    It only lists my floppy.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    Are any of your HD partitions showing on your desktop as icons? If not, then knoppix didn't detect your HD on boot.

    If so, then mount the partition you want to save the config file on and try again. I get to choose any of my paritions including the floppy.

    I'm using the very first released CeBIT rip which is the German (DE) version. Which one are you using and which mirror did you get it from?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Glenview, Illinois
    Posts
    72

    saving config

    Audioaficianado: I have my hard drive partitions listed in Knoppix (2 FAT32 physical drives, boot drive has Win98SE on it). I wish to run Knoppix 3.2 as I did 3.1, that is, off the hard drive as if it were the CD. Are you saying that if I copied the Knoppix CD to the hard drive and use a boot disk, as before, and save my config to the same partition, that with the "myconfig=scan" cheatcode, 3.2 will start with all my config info intact? I hope so. I cannot do a dual-boot thing on this computer and want to run knoppix as if it were on the CD... Thanks for your help.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    17
    I'm new to Knoppix and I'm trying to save my settings. Yesterday, after loading the 3.2a EN disk, I configured my wireless card, etc and did the saveconfig routine without difficulty (I thought).

    Today, at the boot: prompt, I type 'knoppix lang=en myconfig=scan' and it starts to boot, however it stops during boot with:

    Code:
    Checking /mnt/ for KNOPPIX configuration files...
    Filesystem not autodetected, trying to mount /dev/ with AES256 encryption
    /dev/: Is a directory
    Mount failed, retry? [Y/n]
    Hitting Y gives the same error, no shuts down.

    The next time I tried the 'knoppix lang=en myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy' but this yields:

    Code:
    Checking /mnt/auto/floppy for KNOPPIX configuration files...
    Filesystem not autodetected, trying to mount /dev/auto with AES256 encryption
    /dev/auto: No such file or directory
    Mount failed, retry? [Y/n]
    Booting without the myconfig works fine. The floppy is mounted and contains boot, configs.tgz, dev, etc, knoppix.sh, lost+found, vmlinuz

    What am I doing wrong?

    Also, the system automatically mounts /dev/hda1 on /mnt/hda1. How would I go about using that space to save my config files? There is apparently no man entry for saveconfig and 'saveconfig [-? | --help] simply runs saveconfig.

    Thank you

    Edit addendum:

    I remembered that the save location came up after the whatcha-wanna-backup screen, however only /mnt/floppy is shown there. Again /dev/hda1 is mounted by the system at boot. That'd be the ideal place for the config.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166

    Re: saving config

    Quote Originally Posted by boehmb
    Audioaficianado: I have my hard drive partitions listed in Knoppix (2 FAT32 physical drives, boot drive has Win98SE on it). I wish to run Knoppix 3.2 as I did 3.1, that is, off the hard drive as if it were the CD. Are you saying that if I copied the Knoppix CD to the hard drive and use a boot disk, as before, and save my config to the same partition, that with the "myconfig=scan" cheatcode, 3.2 will start with all my config info intact? I hope so. I cannot do a dual-boot thing on this computer and want to run knoppix as if it were on the CD... Thanks for your help.
    You want a hard drive install. I haven't tried that as I have a 'testing' debian HD install already. There's a script to initiate the HD install. Search this forum as there's a lot of how posts on the subject.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Glenview, Illinois
    Posts
    72

    Saving config

    Jester...I had the same messages and think there is a bug in the saveconfig routine. I tried every conceivable syntax to get Knoppix to read the config files to no avail. I think I'll wait until a bug-fix version is out before trying anymore...

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester^
    I'm new to Knoppix and I'm trying to save my settings. Yesterday, after loading the 3.2a EN disk, I configured my wireless card, etc and did the saveconfig routine without difficulty (I thought).

    <snip>

    Also, the system automatically mounts /dev/hda1 on /mnt/hda1. How would I go about using that space to save my config files? There is apparently no man entry for saveconfig and 'saveconfig [-? | --help] simply runs saveconfig.

    Thank you

    Edit addendum:

    I remembered that the save location came up after the whatcha-wanna-backup screen, however only /mnt/floppy is shown there. Again /dev/hda1 is mounted by the system at boot. That'd be the ideal place for the config.
    I don't think a average config file will ever fit on a floppy. Mine was easily over 9Mb. Now it's over 12Mb Try saving it to hda1. Any mounted partitions should be available when you go to K-menu/Knoppix/configure/save configs. Manually mount the hda1 first by right clicking and selecting 'mount' or just open it which also mounts it. The icon on your desktop just shows you it's been detected and entered in /etc/fstab but not mounted. If you still don't have the hda1 option button in the save config, it could be something wrong with the EN version. It works fine in the DE CeBIT rip version.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    17
    Okay, I will try manually mounting the drive first. I'm currently download 3.2b EN to see if that corrects this issue, and also the issue I'm having with Permanent Home (see other thread).

    Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. saving config.
    By Kelly in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 12:08 AM
  2. Saving config to a floppy
    By extradudeguy in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2003, 11:33 PM
  3. sound config saving error
    By Kapz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 05:22 AM
  4. Saving Config to Floppy
    By SerenityNet in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-25-2003, 11:59 AM
  5. Saving Config
    By LordHarshmage in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2003, 08:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD picture

HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD

$199.95



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$239.99



Sophos XG 125 Rev.3 Desktop Firewall 8x GbE 1x SFP Wiped - No Power Adapter picture

Sophos XG 125 Rev.3 Desktop Firewall 8x GbE 1x SFP Wiped - No Power Adapter

$74.99



Netgate SG-2100 pfSense Plus 26.07 Firewall VPN Router - Wiped, Fresh Install picture

Netgate SG-2100 pfSense Plus 26.07 Firewall VPN Router - Wiped, Fresh Install

$174.99



Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware picture

Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware

$89.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00