Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How to make partition read-write

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4

    How to make partition read-write

    I have a separate D: drive that I need to save some C: drive files to, before using the Win XP boot disk. I cannot save or modify anything on this D: drive current. I have followed the following instructions with no success:

    -You will need to make the drive or partition writable to be able to copy files to it. Right click on the drive or partition on the desktop. This will bring up a little menu. Select the last item in the menu, "Properties". This will open a window with four tabs. Select the third tab, "Device". There is a checkbox labeled "Read only". Make sure it is unchecked, and click on Ok. See Appendix C for a picture.
    - Right click on the drive or partition icon again. If there is an item in the menu called "Unmount" select it.
    - Click on the icon on the desktop for the drive or partition. This will open the explorer type window again.
    - Go back to the window where you found your data you wish to recover. Select the files. Right click on them and select copy. Go back to the window we just opened for the drive or partition. Right click in the big area on the right and select paste.

    After doing this, even though the Read-only checkbox is no longer checked, I still cannot add files.

    Any suggestions on how I can get around this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: How to make partition read-write

    Quote Originally Posted by woodjack
    I have a separate D: drive that I need to save some C: drive files to, before using the Win XP boot disk. I cannot save or modify anything on this D: drive current. I have followed the following instructions with no success:

    -You will need to make the drive or partition writable to be able to copy files to it. Right click on the drive or partition on the desktop. This will bring up a little menu. Select the last item in the menu, "Properties". This will open a window with four tabs. Select the third tab, "Device". There is a checkbox labeled "Read only". Make sure it is unchecked, and click on Ok. See Appendix C for a picture.
    - Right click on the drive or partition icon again. If there is an item in the menu called "Unmount" select it.
    - Click on the icon on the desktop for the drive or partition. This will open the explorer type window again.
    - Go back to the window where you found your data you wish to recover. Select the files. Right click on them and select copy. Go back to the window we just opened for the drive or partition. Right click in the big area on the right and select paste.

    After doing this, even though the Read-only checkbox is no longer checked, I still cannot add files.

    Any suggestions on how I can get around this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    hmm, try right click -> actions -> change read/write mode

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    You can remount a drive as writeable, but there's important information that you have not given us: what file system is the drive using? Common wisdom is that you should never write to an NTFS file system (and thus should not make it writeable) with Knoppix. For this reason, I split my NTFS file system on C into a smaller C and a FAT file system of D before I started using Knoppix on a then new XP system. I've never written to the C partition with Knoppix and have no plans to do so until those who know the file system drivers say that ut is safe to do so. I suggest you might not want to either.

    Of course, Knoppix should be able to write to NTFS; but if there are know issues in doing so, why tempt fate?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4
    I do have a NTFS, which I now understand cannot or should not be writable using Knoppix. Therefore, I found a 'windows ultimate book cd v1.1', which is a windows-based OS on cd and had a file system that allowed me to copy from c: to d:

    Appreciate your help!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4

    Captive NTFS?

    Can someone explain what "Captive NTFS" is. We see it under "Utilities".

    Thank you!

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    This topic has been moved

    This topic really has nothing to do with networking, and rather than let it grow here I have moved it to the general support forum where it seems to better fit and is more likely to get more responses (maybe not better responses, but more ). Please continue the discussion in the general support forum; I'll clean up this copy after the last poster has had time to see this.

Similar Threads

  1. HOW-TO: get read/write access to HD?
    By kevingpo in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2005, 10:48 PM
  2. /cdrom(usb) read write on boot
    By gbr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 04:51 PM
  3. Change OS read only file to read/write after "poor man'
    By Needtoknow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 02:27 AM
  4. can't change read/write mode on HDD
    By Dioran in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 08:21 PM
  5. need read AND write access to some files in /var/lib
    By redrat in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 03:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive

$349.99



Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD

$70.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033

$125.00



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$58.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95