Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: flushing disk cache

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111

    flushing disk cache

    In K Info Center I can see that sometimes I use like 90% of my ram for
    disk cache.

    Anybody knows how to make hdinstalled knoppix flush it and free the memory??

    Ofcause I can just reboot, but reminds me of something...

    Is it even possible?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    something you might want to read:
    http://sourcefrog.net/weblog/softwar.../free-mem.html

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    Ok. So it is normal and I should not concern myselv with flushing it.

    I wish I could however, as
    currently my disk cache is 400 mb and a complete build in kylix takes 106 secs.

    If I reboot, a complete build in kylix takes 76 secs.

    This last for like 30 mins then it takes around 106 secs again.

    Luckly I dont do complete build very often, but I still wish I could flush it at will.

    Thx.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    typing sync in a console should work for that.

Similar Threads

  1. Autom. cache clean up
    By maxIT in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2005, 08:30 AM
  2. Using cache partition with PMI and LiveCD
    By j.drake in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 04:00 PM
  3. regenerating ld.so.cache & modules.dep
    By CrashedAgain in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 06:15 AM
  4. Konquorer Cache
    By OldFNG in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 05:27 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2003, 01:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version picture

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version

$136.15



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$128.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) - picture

Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) -

$60.00



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$199.00



Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US picture

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US

$41.30



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99