-
Can I mount a 2nd hard disk if BIOS can't detect it?
Hi, I have a system with 2 hard disk and an Asus K7V. The 2nd hdd is IBM 60Gb and BIOS can't autodetect it. The mechanical parts of hdd work perfectly, but the BIOS has difficulty to detect it.
Knoppix autodetect and mount the 1st hard disk, but don't autodetect the 2nd.
Can I mount it by Knoppix CD in spite of BIOS or it's impossible? I know the LBA parameters.
How can I do it?
Thank you very much
-
Senior Member
registered user
It strange if your bios cannot detect your HD. Check the jumper of your HD, the master,slave,cable jumper. Make sure its correct.
You could enter manually your HD spec, cylinder size,zone..etc in your bios. If you can read the HD, than knoppix too can.
Have you update your bios?
-
HD jumpers and bios version is OK.
Bios autodetected the HDD perfectly for 2 years, now autodetect fails.
After I enter HD specs manually in the bios, and reboot, how can I access to the HD by Linux?
Thank you
-
I'm a noob, so no flames please; can Knoppix detect an HD without the Bios seeing it?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Usually if bios can detect, linux can see the harddisk. Booting with knoppix, you will see all listed partition on desktop. If your hd is okay, the partition will show up.
Anyway you could try run this utility which comes with knoppix:
tesdisk
see if it can detect your 2nd hd.
You could try switch ide slot of your 2nd hd with 1st hd, try autodetect... just to check your ide port is okay.
Similar Threads
-
By Majii in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 05:27 AM
-
By Pisces_Australis in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-12-2004, 11:00 AM
-
By BillyBobber in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-16-2004, 10:09 PM
-
By LinuxSam in forum General Support
Replies: 14
Last Post: 04-03-2003, 02:58 PM
-
By Mycroft1855 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive
$53.99

WD Purple Surveillance 4TB WD42PURZ 3.5" SATA Hard Drive - 31 AUG 2018
$95.00

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

Western Digital 2TB Purple WD20PURX SATA 3.5" - 14 OCT 2019
$60.00

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00