-
Can I mount a 2nd hard disk if BIOS can't detect it?
Hi, I have a system with 2 hard disk and an Asus K7V. The 2nd hdd is IBM 60Gb and BIOS can't autodetect it. The mechanical parts of hdd work perfectly, but the BIOS has difficulty to detect it.
Knoppix autodetect and mount the 1st hard disk, but don't autodetect the 2nd.
Can I mount it by Knoppix CD in spite of BIOS or it's impossible? I know the LBA parameters.
How can I do it?
Thank you very much
-
Senior Member
registered user
It strange if your bios cannot detect your HD. Check the jumper of your HD, the master,slave,cable jumper. Make sure its correct.
You could enter manually your HD spec, cylinder size,zone..etc in your bios. If you can read the HD, than knoppix too can.
Have you update your bios?
-
HD jumpers and bios version is OK.
Bios autodetected the HDD perfectly for 2 years, now autodetect fails.
After I enter HD specs manually in the bios, and reboot, how can I access to the HD by Linux?
Thank you
-
I'm a noob, so no flames please; can Knoppix detect an HD without the Bios seeing it?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Usually if bios can detect, linux can see the harddisk. Booting with knoppix, you will see all listed partition on desktop. If your hd is okay, the partition will show up.
Anyway you could try run this utility which comes with knoppix:
tesdisk
see if it can detect your 2nd hd.
You could try switch ide slot of your 2nd hd with 1st hd, try autodetect... just to check your ide port is okay.
Similar Threads
-
By Majii in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 05:27 AM
-
By Pisces_Australis in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-12-2004, 11:00 AM
-
By BillyBobber in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-16-2004, 10:09 PM
-
By LinuxSam in forum General Support
Replies: 14
Last Post: 04-03-2003, 02:58 PM
-
By Mycroft1855 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

New Samsung FIT Plus 64GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive MUF-64AB/AM
$34.95

2 PC Office 2021 Pro replacement drive USB lifetime version
$55.00

1 PC Office 2021 Pro replacement drive USB lifetime version
$40.00