-
Can I mount a 2nd hard disk if BIOS can't detect it?
Hi, I have a system with 2 hard disk and an Asus K7V. The 2nd hdd is IBM 60Gb and BIOS can't autodetect it. The mechanical parts of hdd work perfectly, but the BIOS has difficulty to detect it.
Knoppix autodetect and mount the 1st hard disk, but don't autodetect the 2nd.
Can I mount it by Knoppix CD in spite of BIOS or it's impossible? I know the LBA parameters.
How can I do it?
Thank you very much
-
Senior Member
registered user
It strange if your bios cannot detect your HD. Check the jumper of your HD, the master,slave,cable jumper. Make sure its correct.
You could enter manually your HD spec, cylinder size,zone..etc in your bios. If you can read the HD, than knoppix too can.
Have you update your bios?
-
HD jumpers and bios version is OK.
Bios autodetected the HDD perfectly for 2 years, now autodetect fails.
After I enter HD specs manually in the bios, and reboot, how can I access to the HD by Linux?
Thank you
-
I'm a noob, so no flames please; can Knoppix detect an HD without the Bios seeing it?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Usually if bios can detect, linux can see the harddisk. Booting with knoppix, you will see all listed partition on desktop. If your hd is okay, the partition will show up.
Anyway you could try run this utility which comes with knoppix:
tesdisk
see if it can detect your 2nd hd.
You could try switch ide slot of your 2nd hd with 1st hd, try autodetect... just to check your ide port is okay.
Similar Threads
-
By Majii in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 05:27 AM
-
By Pisces_Australis in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-12-2004, 11:00 AM
-
By BillyBobber in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-16-2004, 10:09 PM
-
By LinuxSam in forum General Support
Replies: 14
Last Post: 04-03-2003, 02:58 PM
-
By Mycroft1855 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Micron 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA-RB2-14 3200MHz ECC Server RAM MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2F1TI
$4799.99

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

Lot of 2- SK Hynix 8GB 1RX8 PC4-2666V-RD1-11 Server RAM Memory HMA81GR7AFR8N-VK
$80.00

Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC
$370.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Lot of 12 SK Hynix 64GB PC4-2666V LRDIMM Server Memory RAM HMAA8GL7CPR4N -Tested
$4200.00

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

SK hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10 Server Memory Ram HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF
$57.99

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98