-
installing and deleting SWAP on MSDOS
I am at my school's computer and was going to run Knoppix. It said there is not enough memory to run KDE (it only has 32Mb). There was a dialog box that says you can install a temporary swap file on the MSDOS hardrive (dev/hda1/ i think) How would I go about deleting this file when I am finished? I need to do it from Knopper, and not Windows. (Because Windows is not working, thats why I am using Knoppix. Any ideas?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: installing and deleting SWAP on MSDOS
--As root, when you're ready to shutdown, issue:
' swapon -s ' == Get status of swapfiles and partitions
' swapoff /mnt/c/knoppix.swp ' == Or whatever the filename is that it's using
' swapon -s ' == Make sure it's not using the swapfile anymore
' /bin/rm /mnt/c/knoppix.swp ' == Remove the swapfile from drive C (or wherever it was located)
' halt ' == Shutdown.

Originally Posted by
patrick
I am at my school's computer and was going to run Knoppix. It said there is not enough memory to run KDE (it only has 32Mb). There was a dialog box that says you can install a temporary swap file on the MSDOS hardrive (dev/hda1/ i think) How would I go about deleting this file when I am finished? I need to do it from Knopper, and not Windows. (Because Windows is not working, thats why I am using Knoppix. Any ideas?
-
if you use a swap file on the c drive, does it damage/overwrite data that is already on there? i'm kind of new to this whole linux thing. i would like to be able to try and run knoppix 3.1 on my old ibm thinkpad with 24mb of ram.
eric
-
Senior Member
registered user
--No, it shouldn't be harmful at all unless you mistype an ' rm ' command. Use ' mc ' to delete files and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by
eric
if you use a swap file on the c drive, does it damage/overwrite data that is already on there? i'm kind of new to this whole linux thing. i would like to be able to try and run knoppix 3.1 on my old ibm thinkpad with 24mb of ram.
eric
Similar Threads
-
By XX in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-20-2004, 12:37 AM
-
By larryks in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-13-2003, 05:12 PM
-
By iconfly in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 05-05-2003, 03:37 PM
-
By frishert in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-23-2003, 11:11 AM
-
By Dinant in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-07-2003, 08:55 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$16.41

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99