I had the same problem. I fixed it by removing ntfsprogs, then adding/updating libnfs, then re-adding ntfsprogs.
I hope this helps.
James
I keep getting this:
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
testdisk: Depends: libntfs5 (>= 1.9.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
root@rrfish72:~# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libntfs5
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libntfs5
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 89 not upgraded.
306 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/61.8kB of archives.
After unpacking 160kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 109097 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libntfs5 (from .../libntfs5_1.9.2-2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libntfs.so.5.0.0', which is also in package ntfsprogs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.2-2_i386.deb
How do I fix the unmet dependancy?
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I had the same problem. I fixed it by removing ntfsprogs, then adding/updating libnfs, then re-adding ntfsprogs.
I hope this helps.
James
So how do I remove it when the apt-get feature is not even working because of that:
root@rrfish72:~# apt-get --purge remove ntfsprogs
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
ntfsprogs-dev: Depends: ntfsprogs (= 200309071734captive1) but it is not going to be installed
testdisk: Depends: libntfs5 (>= 1.9.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
root@rrfish72:~# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libntfs5
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libntfs5
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 89 not upgraded.
306 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/61.8kB of archives.
After unpacking 160kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 109097 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libntfs5 (from .../libntfs5_1.9.2-2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libntfs.so.5.0.0', which is also in package ntfsprogs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.2-2_i386.deb
Is there another way to remove?
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
You don't need to remove it. It just needs to overwrite a file. Try:
Code:dpkg -i --force-all /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.2-2_i386.deb
Thank You that solved it.

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
ASRock b560 ATX Motherboard + Intel Core i5-11600K CPU Combo Gaming + 32 GB DDR4
$300.00
LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00
Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor
$39.99
Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95
AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad
$355.99
Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0
$38.00