Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: How to check if AGPGART is compiled in the kernel

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    How to check if AGPGART is compiled in the kernel

    My display driver(i815) requires that for any high resolution display according to the XFree86 guys. I can only use the VESA driver at 640x480 without that.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    25
    To check if APGGART is compiled into kernel look in the config file found in /boot:

    As root try:
    Code:
    grep AGP /boot/config-2.4.20-xfs
    it then returns:
    • CONFIG_AGP=m
      CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
      CONFIG_AGP_I810=y
      CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
      CONFIG_AGP_AMD=y
      CONFIG_AGP_AMD_8151=y
      CONFIG_AGP_SIS=y
      CONFIG_AGP_ALI=y
      CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS=y

    The above tells you that the kernel has AGP support but only as a module (m).


  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Thanks. But I cannot find the file i810.o under lib/modules/kernel/video and if I let KNOPPIX to start XFree86 using i810 driver, it said fail to allocate memory and mention the file i810.o.

    Does that means Klaus forgot to include the necessary module ?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    25
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i810.o

    Are you sure it is the driver you need?


  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Thanks, found it but it still failed miserably. I am sure about the chipset(i815) and the auto detect also found it and use the i810 module of the XFree86. But it give me an error message of "cannot allocate memory" and a long list but before I have the time to read them, it switch to the graphic mode and hangs there. I need to remove the power supply to gain back control.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    25
    Use 'knoppix 2'


  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I can either use xmodule=vesa or 2(to get the text prompt). However, this make the machine quite usless as the 640x480(vesa) display is just too difficult to use, many website just don't show properly.

    I have tried 'knoppix 2' and check to load the agpgart and i810 module manually and they load without any error. However, if I then startx, the machine hang which again needs the removal of power to gain back control.

    a lot of thanks for the help anyway.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    25
    What if you use the noagp option?

    And when you run failsafe it still hangs?

    What happens when you use the fb options instead?


  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    failsafe is fine as it would automatically use VESA driver(that is how I find out how to make the X work). I tried noagp, it failed. I also tried the fbdev, still failed.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    25
    On mine failsafe starts up in 1024x768

    I found this:
    http://www.kalamazoolinux.org/piperm...er/000278.html

    It indicates that you should use the 800x600 or else X hangs. (screen=800x600)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Newly compiled kernel not recognized! HELP!
    By cheesburger in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 11:22 PM
  2. Setup problems with resolution / agpgart module
    By adhoc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 04:14 PM
  3. Stop agpgart from loading
    By dave52355 in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 03:44 PM
  4. sanity check for custom kernel
    By lgriske in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 02:07 PM
  5. Request for MPPE compiled in...
    By Vermyndax in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 10:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$12.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01