-
Senior Member
registered user
How to check if AGPGART is compiled in the kernel
My display driver(i815) requires that for any high resolution display according to the XFree86 guys. I can only use the VESA driver at 640x480 without that.
-
Junior Member
registered user
To check if APGGART is compiled into kernel look in the config file found in /boot:
As root try:
Code:
grep AGP /boot/config-2.4.20-xfs
it then returns:
- CONFIG_AGP=m
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_AGP_I810=y
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD_8151=y
CONFIG_AGP_SIS=y
CONFIG_AGP_ALI=y
CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS=y
The above tells you that the kernel has AGP support but only as a module (m).
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks. But I cannot find the file i810.o under lib/modules/kernel/video and if I let KNOPPIX to start XFree86 using i810 driver, it said fail to allocate memory and mention the file i810.o.
Does that means Klaus forgot to include the necessary module ?
-
Junior Member
registered user
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i810.o
Are you sure it is the driver you need?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks, found it but it still failed miserably. I am sure about the chipset(i815) and the auto detect also found it and use the i810 module of the XFree86. But it give me an error message of "cannot allocate memory" and a long list but before I have the time to read them, it switch to the graphic mode and hangs there. I need to remove the power supply to gain back control.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Use 'knoppix 2'
-
Senior Member
registered user
I can either use xmodule=vesa or 2(to get the text prompt). However, this make the machine quite usless as the 640x480(vesa) display is just too difficult to use, many website just don't show properly.
I have tried 'knoppix 2' and check to load the agpgart and i810 module manually and they load without any error. However, if I then startx, the machine hang which again needs the removal of power to gain back control.
a lot of thanks for the help anyway.
-
Junior Member
registered user
What if you use the noagp option?
And when you run failsafe it still hangs?
What happens when you use the fb options instead?
-
Senior Member
registered user
failsafe is fine as it would automatically use VESA driver(that is how I find out how to make the X work). I tried noagp, it failed. I also tried the fbdev, still failed.
-
Junior Member
registered user
On mine failsafe starts up in 1024x768
I found this:
http://www.kalamazoolinux.org/piperm...er/000278.html
It indicates that you should use the 800x600 or else X hangs. (screen=800x600)
Similar Threads
-
By cheesburger in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-01-2005, 11:22 PM
-
By adhoc in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-13-2004, 04:14 PM
-
By dave52355 in forum General Support
Replies: 13
Last Post: 11-03-2003, 03:44 PM
-
By lgriske in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-26-2003, 02:07 PM
-
By Vermyndax in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-28-2003, 10:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$12.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99