Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: how can i remaster to use fvwm(or vtwm) instead of kde?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1

    how can i remaster to use fvwm(or vtwm) instead of kde?

    I'm trying to make a remaster of Knoppix to use for practicing for a programming contest. I want to have it as close to the actual computers that will be used in the contest and I would just install SuSE or something but the computers that I would be using this on can't be messed with.
    Anyway, in they contest they use either fvwm or vtwm, I have never used either one other then when I did this contest last year so I don't really know which one they used, I just remember it having almost nothing on the screen and everything was gotten to though right clicking on the desktop. Any idea on which that might be would be helpful.
    Well I'm sort of new with Linux so this is all new to me. I read a little about remastering and messed around with that new script. I figured out how to remove packages but I can't access the internet from Knoppix so I'm kind of lost on how to install stuff. I need to install xe, jove, and pico so if anyone could at least point me in the right direction on how to find/install the correct versions of those that would be nice.
    Then of course the big question... how can I install/setup Knoppix to use fvwm/vtwm instead of using KDE and also what packages can I remove since I wont be using KDE?

  2. #2

    RE

    REMASTER A NEW COPY OF KNOPPIX:
    I think you can remove all KDE components, and install any window manager.
    And in the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig file changing the DESKTOP variable with witch you want.

    Code:
    case "$DESKTOP" in gnome|enlightenment|kde|larswm|xfce|xfce4|windowmaker|wmaker|icewm|fluxbox|twm|nx|rdp|kiosk) ;; *) DESKTOP="kde";

    INSTALLED VERSION
    If you have installed knoppix on your hd, you can do an apt-get install and in the KDM or XDM, select session with your window manager. You can remove all KDE components if you don't use any kde application. If you want use a kde app, apt-get will install it dependences.

    Good Luck

Similar Threads

  1. FVWM on the DVD...
    By freddo in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2005, 06:46 PM
  2. A remaster like this?
    By TheBinaryPenguin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 04:38 AM
  3. US remaster
    By New Guy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 11:01 PM
  4. Looking for a remaster that may have been done
    By Thorkyl in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 03:43 PM
  5. Any remaster with KDE 3.1 only?
    By in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 05:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD picture

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD

$84.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99