Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Just installed, need some help.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4

    Just installed, need some help.

    I had a friends computer who wouldn't boot, so someone on IRC had suggested using knoppix to boot into the system and recover some very important files. I have been a windows user all my life so this is my first experience with linux. I have two problems: one, when I try burning CDs, it keeps giving me the same errors about the buffer, even when burning at 1x. Other times it gives me a general error.

    #2, as a direct result from 1, how can I access my USB thumb drive on Knoppix. Being unfamiliar with the interface, I can only see the floppy and my main harddrive partition. Where would I go to access the USB drive?

    Thanks,

    Hamid.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4

    Re: Just installed, need some help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harami
    I had a friends computer who wouldn't boot, so someone on IRC had suggested using knoppix to boot into the system and recover some very important files. I have been a windows user all my life so this is my first experience with linux. I have two problems: one, when I try burning CDs, it keeps giving me the same errors about the buffer, even when burning at 1x. Other times it gives me a general error.

    #2, as a direct result from 1, how can I access my USB thumb drive on Knoppix. Being unfamiliar with the interface, I can only see the floppy and my main harddrive partition. Where would I go to access the USB drive?

    Thanks,

    Hamid.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4

    Re: Just installed, need some help.

    Same exact problems - Please someone help - I have some very important files that i need to recover ASAP, THANKS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan
    Quote Originally Posted by Harami
    I had a friends computer who wouldn't boot, so someone on IRC had suggested using knoppix to boot into the system and recover some very important files. I have been a windows user all my life so this is my first experience with linux. I have two problems: one, when I try burning CDs, it keeps giving me the same errors about the buffer, even when burning at 1x. Other times it gives me a general error.

    #2, as a direct result from 1, how can I access my USB thumb drive on Knoppix. Being unfamiliar with the interface, I can only see the floppy and my main harddrive partition. Where would I go to access the USB drive?

    Thanks,

    Hamid.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4
    Do you have to have the CD all the time when you want to run the operating system, or can I remove it to burn the cd? If thats the case, then I might as well install it onto the harddrive and burn the cd then reformat into a windows operating system, as the computer is not mine. I could also setup an ftp on Knoppix and upload the files there. Anyone have any ideas regarding that?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Knoppix is set up to add an icon to the desktop when you plug in a USB thumbdrive (Or any usb storage device).

    What program are yo useing to burn? ALso how fragmented is your hardrive, you might want to do a defrag.

    Otherwise I can't see any reason why you would get a buffer underrun at 1x

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4
    Hi Firebyrd-
    I read your reply about what Knoppix is set up to do - but it does not do anything when I plug in my USB storage device. I have tried two different devices and nothing - they both work in my other machine (Windows OS)

    What must I do so it is recognized - I really need some help on this!!

    Jordan

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan
    Hi Firebyrd-
    I read your reply about what Knoppix is set up to do - but it does not do anything when I plug in my USB storage device. I have tried two different devices and nothing - they both work in my other machine (Windows OS)

    What must I do so it is recognized - I really need some help on this!!

    Jordan
    Do you get any lsmod erroes on start up?

    Try typing knoppix testcd at the boot prompt and see what comes up. Also what type of Drive is it? When I plug mine in, knoppix pops up and icon on to my desktop.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4
    Hi Firebyrd -

    When it comes to Windows, I'm pretty good - but with Knoppix it really is foreign to me - even the instructions you've described.

    I finally got the Knoppix e-mail program working so I am e-mailing myself those files as attachments - it's the long way around, but it is working. I can re-format my drive after I've finished recovering my files and start my machine from scratch.

    I appreciate your time and efforts!!
    Have a good night - (I'm in the Eastern U.S.)
    Jordan

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix DVD installed on usb
    By codeforge in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2005, 10:25 AM
  2. 3.6 installed - NOW what?
    By bcalder in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 03:57 PM
  3. Installed to Hdd and don't know how to boot.
    By rniles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2004, 09:05 PM
  4. Where is php installed
    By philipx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 06:03 AM
  5. what happens when knoppix is hdd installed
    By waynejkruse10 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$680.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00