Originally Posted by Harami
I had a friends computer who wouldn't boot, so someone on IRC had suggested using knoppix to boot into the system and recover some very important files. I have been a windows user all my life so this is my first experience with linux. I have two problems: one, when I try burning CDs, it keeps giving me the same errors about the buffer, even when burning at 1x. Other times it gives me a general error.
#2, as a direct result from 1, how can I access my USB thumb drive on Knoppix. Being unfamiliar with the interface, I can only see the floppy and my main harddrive partition. Where would I go to access the USB drive?
Thanks,
Hamid.
Originally Posted by Harami
Same exact problems - Please someone help - I have some very important files that i need to recover ASAP, THANKS!!Originally Posted by jordan
Do you have to have the CD all the time when you want to run the operating system, or can I remove it to burn the cd? If thats the case, then I might as well install it onto the harddrive and burn the cd then reformat into a windows operating system, as the computer is not mine. I could also setup an ftp on Knoppix and upload the files there. Anyone have any ideas regarding that?
Knoppix is set up to add an icon to the desktop when you plug in a USB thumbdrive (Or any usb storage device).
What program are yo useing to burn? ALso how fragmented is your hardrive, you might want to do a defrag.
Otherwise I can't see any reason why you would get a buffer underrun at 1x
Hi Firebyrd-
I read your reply about what Knoppix is set up to do - but it does not do anything when I plug in my USB storage device. I have tried two different devices and nothing - they both work in my other machine (Windows OS)
What must I do so it is recognized - I really need some help on this!!
Jordan
Do you get any lsmod erroes on start up?Originally Posted by jordan
Try typing knoppix testcd at the boot prompt and see what comes up. Also what type of Drive is it? When I plug mine in, knoppix pops up and icon on to my desktop.
Hi Firebyrd -
When it comes to Windows, I'm pretty good - but with Knoppix it really is foreign to me - even the instructions you've described.
I finally got the Knoppix e-mail program working so I am e-mailing myself those files as attachments - it's the long way around, but it is working. I can re-format my drive after I've finished recovering my files and start my machine from scratch.
I appreciate your time and efforts!!
Have a good night - (I'm in the Eastern U.S.)
Jordan

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset)
$18.99
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD
$14.99
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$714.99
KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00