Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Partitioning?

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    Ok, I made 50m of free space, then made a 50M hda2 partition formatted with ext2, and then clicked "commit" in Qtparted. I got an error message that said "An error happen during ped_file_system_resize call." What's with that? And can I just make the partition in a root shell with bash or whatever?

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    Also J.D. I just use kwrite, just type kwrite /etc/fstab in a root window. From there, type the drive, filesystem, and where to mount it.
    Interesting. I'll have to try that someday. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    The fstab is in ramdisk. (other wise how could it be created to fit your computer?)
    But does it get updated other than within the initial autodetection process? For example, if I boot Knoppix, it autodetects my drives. Then, after the booting stops, I stick in a USB key (sda1) - but Knoppix doesn't know it's there and won't address it until I do something to update the fstab, either by rebooting with the USB in place or issuing a console command that I just can't remember right now with the USB in place. Right? So, if Kowood creates a partition, but cannot save a PH to it, then wouldn't he either have to issue that command or reboot to allow it to be autodetected? Anyway, sounded like a possiblity worth pursuing to me. If I'm wrong, I would very much welcome a learned explanation.

    jd

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    Ok, I made 50m of free space, then made a 50M hda2 partition formatted with ext2, and then clicked "commit" in Qtparted. I got an error message that said "An error happen during ped_file_system_resize call." What's with that? And can I just make the partition in a root shell with bash or whatever?
    Not sure about the Qtparted error. I haven't seen that one before. All I can suggest is that sometimes you just have to undo and redo old partitioning. But yes, you can make partitions in the console using the cfdisk command. I generally prefer the graphical interface of Qtparted, but I remember one time when it was giving me a hassle trying to erase some partitions, and cfdisk did the trick. If you ever used DOS tools like the old Norton Utilities, cfdisk has a similar interface.

    jd

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    Also J.D. I just use kwrite, just type kwrite /etc/fstab in a root window. From there, type the drive, filesystem, and where to mount it.
    Interesting. I'll have to try that someday. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    The fstab is in ramdisk. (other wise how could it be created to fit your computer?)
    But does it get updated other than within the initial autodetection process? For example, if I boot Knoppix, it autodetects my drives. Then, after the booting stops, I stick in a USB key (sda1) - but Knoppix doesn't know it's there and won't address it until I do something to update the fstab, either by rebooting with the USB in place or issuing a console command that I just can't remember right now with the USB in place. Right? So, if Kowood creates a partition, but cannot save a PH to it, then wouldn't he either have to issue that command or reboot to allow it to be autodetected? Anyway, sounded like a possiblity worth pursuing to me. If I'm wrong, I would very much welcome a learned explanation.

    jd
    hmm, knoppix finds my keydrive perfectly and puts a icon on the desktop. I thought hotplug updated the fstab but it may be someother program.

    Yes, if a partition is created you have to a: manually add it or b: restart and let knoppix find it. I use the latter because it alows less room to screw it up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. partitioning
    By tymlls05 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2005, 03:35 PM
  2. Partitioning a HD
    By mimes in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 01:33 AM
  3. partitioning
    By goober in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 03:49 AM
  4. Help with partitioning
    By bob58 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 02:09 AM
  5. partitioning
    By senorian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-20-2003, 03:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$298.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$1444.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Unclaimed Cloud Managed Security Appliance Firewall SD-WAN picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Unclaimed Cloud Managed Security Appliance Firewall SD-WAN

$119.99



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99