Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Question about hardware detection

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1

    Question about hardware detection

    I recently loaded Knoppix off the CD and I have been impressed so far.

    I was having problems with the detection of my integrated sound card (Via AC97 codec). It turned out that the system detected a usb webcam with microphone that I have connected and thought it was a soundcard (and of course failed to get it to work). One I unplugged the webcam device, it properly detected my ac97 on-board sound.

    So is there a way to allow knoppix to find multiple sound devices so I can have my webcam connected (and make use of it in knoppix).

    Thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Sharkn,

    I am going to take a guess we have "closely" related hardware here... I have a VIA motherboard mounted sound card, with the AC97 codec, and I have a Webcam, from Logitech, has the microphone on it as well, using the USB -=- Never connected it to knoppix as of this time, though...

    Not sure on this, but, have you tried to plug in the USB WebCam after you booted with it unplugged ?

    My thinking is that Knoppix has auto-detected you have USB, and thus, may have enabled HotPlug service, thinking that you might plug in a USB device, at a later time, after it has booted. ( just a thought )

    The best thing, of course, is to have Knoppix installed, to the hard drive, without the WebCam installed, then plug it in after it has installed, and then configure it, then it wont be re-auto-detecting each boot... But, you shouldn't have to install it to get this to work, nor should you have to "constantly" boot with it unplugged and plug it in after you boot ( pain in the rump, stuff )...

    Sorry I can't help anymore than this, I did a hard drive install, myself, and still haven't worried about my WebCam at this time... maybe someone else is using the CD and has a "same situation" as you do...

    Ms. Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. USB Hardware detection problems
    By tricky in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 03:47 PM
  2. Hardware Detection question
    By obsoleto in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 05:11 PM
  3. Hardware detection
    By jcostello in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2004, 01:33 AM
  4. Add special hardware to the hardware detection on boot
    By Danmak in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 03:40 AM
  5. Hardware Detection
    By staverts in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 06:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)

$69.95



Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board) picture

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)

$40.00



BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880

$7.00



TDL “the ZPU” rev 1 February 1977 s100 cpu board  picture

TDL “the ZPU” rev 1 February 1977 s100 cpu board

$345.00



S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI) picture

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)

$34.99



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00