Alot of us have heard of "xbox-linux", right?
Well.... after messing with 3.4 for a long time ive finally ported it to xbox!
But i have a question... am i allowed to release it to the public??
Yes!
No way!
Alot of us have heard of "xbox-linux", right?
Well.... after messing with 3.4 for a long time ive finally ported it to xbox!
But i have a question... am i allowed to release it to the public??
Congratulations, that sounds excellent. Now that the new price of the xbox is just $150, I wanted to buy one in the next days anyway (just as a Linux server).Originally Posted by eli_watson
So here are my questions:
* What did you change in Knoppix to make it run?
* Does KDE run on the 64MB Xbox? Usably fast?
* What is needed besides an original Xbox to run it?
Sure! Knoppix is GPL. We are looking forward to test it.Originally Posted by eli_watson
* What did you change in Knoppix to make it run?
Not much, i pretty much just created a XBE (with OpenXDK, not XDK)
that booted the linux kernal, i may be able to get other distros to boot with a few mods
* Does KDE run on the 64MB Xbox? Usably fast?
Yes, it runs, it is slow... mabey a few mods to the KDE (like striping it down some) would help.
* What is needed besides an original Xbox to run it?
A modchip/softmod
A good softmod tut is @
http://freexevoxtut.freeservers.com/...tut/part1.html
I will be making a alpha release tomorrow, im going to fix a bug tonight that sometimes makes it freeze up before booting the kernal.
There is already a KNOPPIX inspired distro for xbox(Xebian).
I dont care... i just did this more to less becuse i was bored one day, and had the idea.
What are you all doing with your Linux-Xboxes? Just playing around, or has anyone actually found a real use for it?
I am thinking about a home server, but I read the Xbox consumes 100 Watt of power, whereas EPIA-systems need only 30 or so. Is there a way to disable the integrated video and save power?
I can have a use, but most people use it messing around, or for a server.Originally Posted by probono
Yes, power is a real issue for 24/7. I use it as a media center and linux development.Originally Posted by probono
EPIA-systems are great but more expensive than Xbox at the moment(mine is a used one bought at 100 US). I fail to find a way to turn off the video chip and the CPU, only can save some power for the HD.
I find that for real server use, may be get a PC from ebay with wake-on-lan support and power saving is better. As in general, the server would only be in used when I want to use it and in other times, I would rather have it sleeping(when I am sleeping, out for other activities).
xromwell or xbeboot can boot all flavour of xbox-capable linux kernels and you don't even need any XDK, just gnu C compiler is good enough. They are the equivalent of lilo/grub on PC.Originally Posted by eli_watson
BTW, the link about Xbox modding is pretty old especially for softmod. Try http://www.xbox-scene.com for latest techniques. I can now boot straightly to linux on power up using softmod without losing any game playing capability of it.
Heres the site:
http://sexewebz.no-ip.com/hosted_sites/kbox/

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair
$88.75
Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29
UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25
Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00
Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95
INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00
Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00
ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95