Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Programs needed for compiling

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Programs needed for compiling

    I've posted this here because it really has nothing to do with knoppix, but what programs are needed for general compiling. Mainly c/c++. (is there a web site that has all this info for other languages also?)

    I tried downloading programs that looked right but I didn't get the result I wanted. I couldn't get rid of them so i'm now just writting back the images I made (A lifesaver, this is a 3rd time, really helpful when I play aorund with debian).

    I'll come back and post what I have(programs) when this is done.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    OK a fresh install comes with 5 programs in the devel folder of kpackage


    gcc-3.3-base
    gdb
    libbonobo2-common
    libgnomevfs2-common
    pkg-config


    I don't see anything there that would help me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    The programs you need are called compilers, and the standard one for doing C and C++ on Linux is called gcc. Knoppix comes with this so you shouldn't need to download or install anything else.

    If you want to do software development in some other language, then you may need to install something else, depending on what language you have in mind. But since Knoppix comes with so many programming languages already, I would be surprised if you needed to do this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    opps, forgot to mention i'm not useing knoppix.

    I did look through knoppix's devel folder but was overwhelmed plus most of the programs look out of date.

    Last time I tried apt getting gcc and that just screwed things up.

    I then noticed there was a gcc-3.4, gcc-3.3, gcc-3.2

    SO which should I download, and what about g++?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    What are you using?

    If you are using any sort of Linux distribution then I would be very surprised if you didn't already have C/C++.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by tearinghairout
    What are you using?

    If you are using any sort of Linux distribution then I would be very surprised if you didn't already have C/C++.
    Its debians netinstall. Sarge

    Yes I was surprised also, I went to compile something and ./configure gave me an error about no compiling tools.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    Yes I was surprised also, I went to compile something and ./configure gave me an error about no compiling tools.
    You should give more information

    What does configure print exactly (only the relevant lines where it complains)? And it's also probably interesting what it was you tried to compile.

    Here is a small table of the packages that are necessary to build a software I'm involved in:
    https://www.desy.de/~strauch/computi...velopment.html

    It's rather specific to our install script. Stuff like ssh or zsh are not necessary for general compiling but are just used in the build script
    But the rest could be helpful...

Similar Threads

  1. Compiling?
    By Jameson in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 07:50 PM
  2. Compiling
    By Kowood in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 10:44 AM
  3. Two really needed programs
    By miguipda in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 02:07 AM
  4. Compiling KDE Applications
    By m_yates in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2003, 02:54 AM
  5. needed help for programs dependencies, thanks
    By hittozu in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 01:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Pendrive High Speed Data Storage picture

Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Pendrive High Speed Data Storage

$9.50



SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic picture

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic

$24.95



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$49.99