OK a fresh install comes with 5 programs in the devel folder of kpackage
gcc-3.3-base
gdb
libbonobo2-common
libgnomevfs2-common
pkg-config
I don't see anything there that would help me.
I've posted this here because it really has nothing to do with knoppix, but what programs are needed for general compiling. Mainly c/c++. (is there a web site that has all this info for other languages also?)
I tried downloading programs that looked right but I didn't get the result I wanted. I couldn't get rid of them so i'm now just writting back the images I made (A lifesaver, this is a 3rd time, really helpful when I play aorund with debian).
I'll come back and post what I have(programs) when this is done.
Thanks
OK a fresh install comes with 5 programs in the devel folder of kpackage
gcc-3.3-base
gdb
libbonobo2-common
libgnomevfs2-common
pkg-config
I don't see anything there that would help me.
The programs you need are called compilers, and the standard one for doing C and C++ on Linux is called gcc. Knoppix comes with this so you shouldn't need to download or install anything else.
If you want to do software development in some other language, then you may need to install something else, depending on what language you have in mind. But since Knoppix comes with so many programming languages already, I would be surprised if you needed to do this.
opps, forgot to mention i'm not useing knoppix.
I did look through knoppix's devel folder but was overwhelmed plus most of the programs look out of date.
Last time I tried apt getting gcc and that just screwed things up.
I then noticed there was a gcc-3.4, gcc-3.3, gcc-3.2
SO which should I download, and what about g++?
What are you using?
If you are using any sort of Linux distribution then I would be very surprised if you didn't already have C/C++.
Its debians netinstall. SargeOriginally Posted by tearinghairout
Yes I was surprised also, I went to compile something and ./configure gave me an error about no compiling tools.
You should give more informationOriginally Posted by firebyrd10
What does configure print exactly (only the relevant lines where it complains)? And it's also probably interesting what it was you tried to compile.
Here is a small table of the packages that are necessary to build a software I'm involved in:
https://www.desy.de/~strauch/computi...velopment.html
It's rather specific to our install script. Stuff like ssh or zsh are not necessary for general compiling but are just used in the build script
But the rest could be helpful...

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00
SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$59.99
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
ZIPPY USB Flash Drive Memory Stick Pendrive Thumb Drive 4GB, 8GB, 32GB, 64GB LOT
$212.49
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$140.40
128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99