An external modem should be easier to comfigure especially for knoppix from cd. I've used USR/3Com and Zoom external modems. Most current pci hardware modems run on a nonstandard serial port.
rock
I understand that linux requires a hardware controled modem.
I also have already found several lists of modems that work. But they just list as yes/no.
Since I am going to have to buy a new modem I would realy like some personal biased oppinions on what the best dial-up modem is. What have you used with success, what brands would you avoid? Is there any real advantage to using an external over a harware controlled PCI modem?
THanks.
An external modem should be easier to comfigure especially for knoppix from cd. I've used USR/3Com and Zoom external modems. Most current pci hardware modems run on a nonstandard serial port.
rock
If you are out in the rural part of the country & using dial up, I suggest getting on old external MultiTech modem. My internal Win 56k modem never connects above 38,400. It is a 56k modem. The MultiTech I'm using is a MT2834ZDXb which has 33k connect capabilities. It is an external modem & is on the 1st serial port (/dev/ttys0) Remember real computer people start counting with 0! I suppose an external 56k modem would be faster. Remember most of the older modems have a 25pin female connector, so you will probably need a 25 pin male to 9 pin female cable.
Hobby_1![]()
if anybody is following this, I decided on a Creative labs modemblatser external 56k v.92 serial modem. not because of any special features, but jut because BestBuy had onein an open box at a decent discount. It works great. i used kPPP and was online in a matter of minutes. Thanks for the help. i'm realy glad i decided to go external.
I'm brand new to Knoppix, just tried it last night.
Do I understand that using my internal device will not work? No moden was auto detected.
tnx
redcat
tip 01
Avoid USB external dial-up modems. - especially Olitec - no drivers available!
I use an older COM1 36kB olitec with kppp = ttyso under linux
Works just fine.
tip 02 avoid Internal PCI or Plug-in or WinModems - they are NOT supported and will NOT work.
![]()
That's just not true. Internal PCI controller-based modems should work--they'll just appear as ordinary serial ports. While it's possible to make some controllerless or soft modems work, you're much better off using a "real" modem if that's an option. As I've stated elsewhere in the forums, controller-based internal -or- external serial (not USB) modems are your best choice for desktop machines. For laptops with built-in modems, the effort required to obtain proprietary drivers may be justifiable.Originally Posted by ozfrog

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00
128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00
Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot
$280.00
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00