-
Senior Member
registered user
Dial-up modem advice?
I understand that linux requires a hardware controled modem.
I also have already found several lists of modems that work. But they just list as yes/no.
Since I am going to have to buy a new modem I would realy like some personal biased oppinions on what the best dial-up modem is. What have you used with success, what brands would you avoid? Is there any real advantage to using an external over a harware controlled PCI modem?
THanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
An external modem should be easier to comfigure especially for knoppix from cd. I've used USR/3Com and Zoom external modems. Most current pci hardware modems run on a nonstandard serial port.
rock
-
Dial up modem advice for VeeDubb
If you are out in the rural part of the country & using dial up, I suggest getting on old external MultiTech modem. My internal Win 56k modem never connects above 38,400. It is a 56k modem. The MultiTech I'm using is a MT2834ZDXb which has 33k connect capabilities. It is an external modem & is on the 1st serial port (/dev/ttys0) Remember real computer people start counting with 0! I suppose an external 56k modem would be faster. Remember most of the older modems have a 25pin female connector, so you will probably need a 25 pin male to 9 pin female cable.
Hobby_1
-
Senior Member
registered user
if anybody is following this, I decided on a Creative labs modemblatser external 56k v.92 serial modem. not because of any special features, but jut because BestBuy had onein an open box at a decent discount. It works great. i used kPPP and was online in a matter of minutes. Thanks for the help. i'm realy glad i decided to go external.
-
Modems
I'm brand new to Knoppix, just tried it last night.
Do I understand that using my internal device will not work? No moden was auto detected.
tnx
redcat
-
Junior Member
registered user
tip 01
Avoid USB external dial-up modems. - especially Olitec - no drivers available!
I use an older COM1 36kB olitec with kppp = ttyso under linux
Works just fine.
tip 02 avoid Internal PCI or Plug-in or WinModems - they are NOT supported and will NOT work.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ozfrog
tip 02 avoid Internal PCI or Plug-in or WinModems - they are NOT supported and will NOT work.
8)
That's just not true. Internal PCI controller-based modems should work--they'll just appear as ordinary serial ports. While it's possible to make some controllerless or soft modems work, you're much better off using a "real" modem if that's an option. As I've stated elsewhere in the forums, controller-based internal -or- external serial (not USB) modems are your best choice for desktop machines. For laptops with built-in modems, the effort required to obtain proprietary drivers may be justifiable.
Similar Threads
-
By rrfish72 in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-15-2005, 08:35 AM
-
By brianinmaine in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-26-2004, 08:45 PM
-
By panthrax in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
-
By waynejkruse10 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-13-2003, 06:10 PM
-
By FarAway in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s
$59.00

Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive
$49.00

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99