Have you tried
where whatever is the username.Code:# adduser whatever audio
I've tried everything to get the system sounds to click, beep, whistle.... and still no luck. They only appear when I log into root. Anyone know how to get these sounds to work in my acct.
Have you tried
where whatever is the username.Code:# adduser whatever audio
Try this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13366 or the link in the link. You can even use links![]()
Still nothing. Changed to external player aplay and now the option of changing to a different player is grayed out. Where is this external player. Do I have to specify exactly where the player is? When I shut down I see a line that says unable to save alsa settings.
Are you using alsa? You need it for aplay. This is my ~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc:
markus@fujibox:~/.kde/share/config$ cat knotifyrc
[Misc]
External player=aplay
LastConfiguredApp=Konsole
Use external player=true
Volume=100
[StartProgress]
Arts Init=false
KNotify Init=true
Use Arts=false
You can also use Arts and choose artsplay as the external player. If the option is now grayed out, try changing it in knotifyrc to something like:
[Misc]
External player=artsplay
LastConfiguredApp=Konsole
Use external player=true
Volume=100
[StartProgress]
Arts Init=true
KNotify Init=true
Use Arts=true
[Misc]
External player=artsplay
LastConfiguredApp=Konsole
Use external player=true
Volume=100
[StartProgress]
Arts Init=true
KNotify Init=true
Use Arts=true
It was aplay then I changed it to artsplay.
Mmm, it works now?
No, sorry. Had to reboot to see if that changed anything. Still nothing.
Sorry, perhaps something with knoppix again, worked like a charm with kanotix.
You do have arts running, that is, have enabled KDE sound system and get sound when you click "test sound"?
Running Kanotix BH4. Nothing from test soound either.

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++
$169.00
Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00
Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00
Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X
$180.00
Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00
Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle
$49.99
Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS
$7.00
Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99
Apple Mac Microphone Vintage 1990 Model 590-0618-A Original Box Japan AUX Gray
$14.95