Can anybody help, please!
Sorry for my poor english, but I`ll try to be as clear as possible to explain my problem.
So, I made poor man`s instal this way:
knoppix home=scan tohd=/dev/hda5
Before that I`ve already setup a PH as a file in the same partition - hda5
But now, when I`m booting from the cd with this command:
knoppix home=scan fromhd=/dev/hda5
there is a mistake which says:
Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.
And everything stops here
If I only use this cheatcode:
knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda5
everything is OK and knoppix boots from HD
Why it can`t recognize my persistant home directory, which is an image (about 300MB).
Hda5 is read/write, and I did PH several times
I`ve tryed almost everything I`ve red in this forum but nothing.
Just to say:
file system - hda5 - Fat32
Instaled system on hda1 - WinXP
Please help me do this "Poor man`s install"
I don`t have enough free space on my HD to make full HD install, but at the same time I want to become familiar with Knoppix without using my cdrom all the time (only when I`m booting). I`m linux beginer
Once again - HELP!!!
Can anybody help, please!
PMI locks the partition so nothing can be written to it. If you have a PH on the same partiton it can't lock it, hence the error.Originally Posted by morgan73
Try moving the PH
I`ve already try this, but it didn`t workAny other suggestion???
Is it possible to have an iso image with bugs???
the version is:
KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04-EN
It is possible to have a version with bugs, and the 20040504 release had quite a few. Only problem is that you've already told us that it boots fine as long as you don't define a PH. So that tells me that the image is fine.
I'm afraid I don't know why you're having problems.
jd
Finally, it worked. But not the way, I posted before.
Here is what I`ve made:
I copied the iso file KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04-EN.iso, which i have downloaded, to the dev/hda1 (that`s the partition where is my WinXP too), rename it to knoppix.iso, then I booted from the cdrom with cd that contains the same .iso file as above but burned on that cd (that`s knoppix cdand used the next cheatcode
knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/k*.iso
that`s how i booted knoppx from the HD
The I made my persistant home directory in dev/hda5 and save my config file there too (I understand that is realy important the iso image of the knoppix and the home directory to be on a different partitions)
The next time I boot, i used:
knoppix home=scan myconfig=scan bootfrom=/dev/hda1/k*.iso
And it worked))

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72