You don't need anything in lilo. SCSI emu is no longer necessary w/ 2.6.* kernels.Originally Posted by Markus
Simply access the device with it's normal name.
None the less, which 2.6.8 kernel are you using?Code:cdrecord dev=/dev/hdb blah....
Ran 2.6.8 quite happily for a while until I tried to burn a CD, didn't work. I tried every kernel parameter for the device in lilo I could think of with no joy, so I compiled a 2.6.7 and cdrecording ran immediately.
Is there some patch I could use for 2.6.8 or is it better to just wait for a working kernel?
You don't need anything in lilo. SCSI emu is no longer necessary w/ 2.6.* kernels.Originally Posted by Markus
Simply access the device with it's normal name.
None the less, which 2.6.8 kernel are you using?Code:cdrecord dev=/dev/hdb blah....
Tried without also but then I got nothing from cdrecord -scanbus , even so I tried recording, nada.Originally Posted by mzilikazi
Tried dev=0,0,0 ATA:... ATAPI:... hdc... nada again.Code:cdrecord dev=/dev/hdb blah....
Apt-getted 2.6.8-5 source and compiled starting with oldconfig. Perhaps I'll try kernel.org next but as 2.6.7 from the same config is working fine, I think I'll enjoy it for at least a weekNone the less, which 2.6.8 kernel are you using?
There also seems to be quite a lot of posts like this: http://lists.debian.org/debian-kerne.../msg00613.html
Well that looks like a serious Debian bug.Get one of Kano's kernels or roll your own.
That'll never work, cdrecord is scanning the SCSI BUS. Schilly (author of cdrecord) wants only to write cdrecord for a SCSI interface. That's why you get a complaint from cdrecord when using dev=/dev/hdb about it not being an official version and not to contact him about problems.Originally Posted by Markus
I use a custom 2.6.8.1 and cdrecord works fine. Certainly cdrecord also works fine on Kano's latest: http://kanotix.com/files/kernel/kern...-kanotix-5.zip
*NOTE* You might want to /j #kanotix and clarify how to install this kernel.
I have heard of some problems with Kanos kernels on Knoppix but given the fact that they work just fine on a bootstrap I'd tend to think it's a Knoppix problem and not the other way around.
I think I'll just try kernel.org next.Originally Posted by mzilikazi
Ah. Thanks for clarifying that. I was wondering why I with some configurations get output, but with others none.That'll never work, cdrecord is scanning the SCSI BUS. Schilly (author of cdrecord) wants only to write cdrecord for a SCSI interface. That's why you get a complaint from cdrecord when using dev=/dev/hdb about it not being an official version and not to contact him about problems.Originally Posted by Markus
Ok, thanks again. Not a kernel problem then.I use a custom 2.6.8.1 and cdrecord works fine. Certainly cdrecord also works fine on Kano's latest: http://kanotix.com/files/kernel/kern...-kanotix-5.zip
Actually I run BH5 now and used to run kanos kernel on Knoppix 3.3, heard the same thing about 3.4.I have heard of some problems with Kanos kernels on Knoppix but given the fact that they work just fine on a bootstrap I'd tend to think it's a Knoppix problem and not the other way around.
Well, compiled 2.6.8.1 from kernel.org and now I can burn with "kdesu k3b" or by running cdrecord as root from a VT. As user it doesn't work even with device and cdrecord suid to root.
Aaargh. I suppose I have to live with this minor annoyance while the kernel seems to be running fine in other aspects. Not about to delete that 2.6.7 though.
Found some more reading if anyone's interested:
https://lwn.net/Articles/98405/
http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/cd...er/003809.html
http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3263
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...08.3/0824.html
I tried to use k3b once but it is far too complicated for a simple guy like me.I did find this tho:
I say B.S.! 2.6.8.1 works fine for me. I also happen to know that cdrecord works fine w/ 2.6.8.1 from Kanotix. Mebbe try k3b there. Oh and BTW....Do not use Kernel 2.6.8
A patch that was introduced into the kernel shortly before the 2.6.8 release makes K3b and also the dvd+rw-tools unusable on Linux (unless run as root but that is not recommended). The very important GET CONFIGURATION MMC command is rejected by the kernel for reasons I cannot see and writing commands like MODE SELECT also fail (K3b cannot detect CD writers without it) even when the device is opened O_RDWR. Until this issue has been solved I strongly recommend to stick to kernel version 2.6.7.
Update: The kernel guys are currently fixing the problem so the next kernel release should work again.
Update 2: The problem is NOT fixed in 2.6.8.1
Update 3: Be aware that kernel 2.6.8 also contains the memory leak which makes it impossible to write audio cds, even as root.
BH08 is out! http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13527
Did some more compiling, 2.6.9-rc2 this time. Now k3b works and I've realised that my cdrecord package is broken, or the config is borked. I can blank cd's with:
cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdc blank=fast but recording doesn't work even as root from a VT.
Oh, well, I'll just use k3b and see if cdrecord is updated sometimes soon. K3b seems to use mkisofs, cdrdao and growisofs for burning so at least I can burn, I'll just miss my burning script.
And yes, I did a reinstall on cdrecord 2.0+a38-1 , and a dpkg-reconfigure just to be on the safe side![]()
As a sidenote, running lilo or shutdown doesn't work with 2.6.9-rc2, so it's 2.6.7 for now.
If anyone happens to dig up this thread the problem with cdrecord (whatever it was) is solved in 2.6.9 final. Nothing wrong with the packages for burning.
Even shutdown works![]()
You should also chmod -s /usr/bin/cdrecord

JUNIPER MPC10E-15C-MRATE MPC10E-15C-X MX MODULAR 15-PORT CONCENTRATOR 400G
$39999.99
Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99
🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99
Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00
Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99
Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS
$8199.99
Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC
$10499.99
Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86
Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99
Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99