Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: SSH - fish, sftp - will settle for anything

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by nishtya

    Now if I have to delete some key file or whatnot on the one machine every time I want to ssh into it from the other it sort of defeats the purpose and I am back to running up and down the stairs, no? Or can I keep the same key through reboots (if I only use one linux maybe on that downstairs puter?) My coworker says I could do something with a static IP but it is getting to be a bit beyond my level of expertise (none)
    Heheh no you do not need to do that every time. You apparently re-ran the fix-ssh script which overwrote your ssh key. Now when you try to log in ssh does what it was meant to do. It tells you that something has changed (and it has).

    ssh keeps a list of known hosts (/home/nishtya/.ssh/known_hosts). If a known hosts tries to connect again it references /home/nishtya/.ssh/known_hosts.

    So you can basically start from scratch like so:

    On each box do: rm -rf /home/nishtya/.ssh/known_hosts

    Then ssh [email protected] and it will creat a new known_hosts file.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    it's possible. What is even weirder is though behind a router, I woke up this morning and these two machines had two different IP addresses from the night before

    Afraid all this work is moot though, tonight or tomorrow morning I have to do a fresh install. I lost printer. This is the first time I haven't been able to repair it. It has happened before here and there through updates. I even did a whole dist upgrade in the hopes of getting it back but nada. I backed up my data and here I go again. This has to be the most singularly aggravating thing about linux. Something that was fine goes poof after some upgrade. And you're screwed.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    it's possible. What is even weirder is though behind a router, I woke up this morning and these two machines had two different IP addresses from the night before

    Afraid all this work is moot though, tonight or tomorrow morning I have to do a fresh install. I lost printer. This is the first time I haven't been able to repair it. It has happened before here and there through updates. I even did a whole dist upgrade in the hopes of getting it back but nada. I backed up my data and here I go again. This has to be the most singularly aggravating thing about linux. Something that was fine goes poof after some upgrade. And you're screwed.
    Dunno what to tell ya except that I have a box that started with woody back in 2002 and has been upgraded to sarge and never reinstalled. It works flawlessly.

    Maybe give the upgrades a rest? You really only need to upgrade if a package needs a security fix or if it has a new functionality that you want/need. That's why Debian comes in multiple flavors.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    It isn't like I do upgrades for the sheer thrill of it :P generally I want a newer version of some proggie I like and it brings in the whole enchilida of dependencies (think KDE here). I usually go for the update if something I use has an annoying glitch (again, think KDE here) or there is new functionality. Then you get into the whole chicken&egg thing or is it shoe & nail

    I held onto BH4 for ages in unstable debian terms (2-3months ) but finally gave in for something or another. If it wasn't for my fondness of KDE apps I probably could make do with far fewer upgrades.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. fish://
    By jon267 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-05-2005, 10:35 AM
  2. trouble fish:// ing?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-03-2004, 02:33 AM
  3. fish://[email protected] vs. sftp://[email protected]
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 01:10 AM
  4. sftp
    By MattT in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2003, 01:52 AM
  5. got no fish?
    By RoadKill in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 10:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$36.99



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



HYNIX  HMA82GR7DJR8N - XN   3200AA    16GB 288 Pin RDIMM DDR4 Memory picture

HYNIX HMA82GR7DJR8N - XN 3200AA 16GB 288 Pin RDIMM DDR4 Memory

$105.00



Lot of 4 SK Hynix 16GB (64GB) HMA82GR7AFR8N-UH PC4-2400T-RE1-11 Server ECC RAM picture

Lot of 4 SK Hynix 16GB (64GB) HMA82GR7AFR8N-UH PC4-2400T-RE1-11 Server ECC RAM

$289.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$289.80