Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: knoppix as a server

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    20
    Here's a question: I've got Knoppix 3.6 HD installed. Since I'm behind a router, how should I go about configuring Knoppix/KDE to use 192.168.1.1 as a gateway to the Internet?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Yes you need to configure your gateway to your router ip. It can be done using network card configuration utility under knoppix icon or manually edit /etc/network/interfaces. Another thing to check is /etc/resolv.conf, this is where your DNS server name reside. Some ISP need you to set their dns so you can surf net.

    To run apache, run this command in root konsole : /etc/init.d/apache start.
    To start apache on every boot automatically, run in root konsole: update-rc.d apache default
    To remove apache from every boot: update-rc.d -f apache remove
    Your webpages should be in /var/www by default, only root has access to this directory. You can change this default directory to somewhere else by editing /etc/apache/httpd.conf.

    To make live easier while working in kde, you might want to install service menus. I would suggest, Open as root, it makes it easier you to access folder as root. You can get it from http://www.kde-apps.org/

    Thats about it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    20
    one last linux noob question: i set up my swap partition in PartitionMagic and formatted the target partition as Ext3 in PartitionMagic as well. Now that it's HD installed, is there anything special i have to do to "activate" the swap, or does it do that by itself automatically? (the swap is on 'hda3')

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Swap partitions are different.

    I didn't use partition-magic for years, but make partitions with fdisk, where I choose a number for a linux-swap from a list - I try to remember it as 83, while normal linux-partitions are 82 - but not sure.

    For the swapdrive I then call

    Code:
    mkswap /dev/hda3
    and finally
    Code:
    swapon

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    20
    heres another question: when i enter:

    mkswap /dev/hda3

    it works just fine, but when i enter:

    swapon /dev/hda3

    i get this message:

    swapon: /dev/hda3: Device or resource busy

    is swap on? how do i tell if it is on? what does this error message mean?

    P.S. Thanks everyone for your help thus far.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    swapon /dev/something
    isn't used, but
    Code:
    swapon -a
    my suggestion (swapon solely) wasn't correct too.
    Code:
    swapon -s
    shows if it's used.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    swapon: /dev/hda3: Device or resource busy
    Your swap partition being used by knoppix. Usually knoppix will autodetect swap partition and use it.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    20
    thanks for the help, my knoppbox runs great now! I now have a few apache-related questions.

    I've used apache before under Win2k Pro, but never before under *nix. I'm getting some weird errors when i start apache:

    root@knoppbox:~# /etc/init.d/apache start
    Starting web server: apache[Thu Sep 23 23:19:11 2004] [warn] module ssl_module is already loaded, skipping
    failed

    I am trying to run virtual servers. Could they be interfering in some way? Any other ideas?

    Addtionally, does Knoppix come with an FTP server? If not, what's a good one, and where/how can I get it? Also, what about SMTP/POP3?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    root@knoppbox:~# /etc/init.d/apache start
    Starting web server: apache[Thu Sep 23 23:19:11 2004] [warn] module ssl_module is already loaded, skipping
    failed
    I believed it has something to do with your httpd.conf, please check, maybe your path is wrong, maybe your virtual host.

    I'm using kanotix, it comes with ftpd as ftp server. I think knoppix do comes with it to. Try : locate ftpd. A good one, I don't know.

    Knoppix comes with smail. But I never use it. It's too complicated. I used xmail as my smtp/pop3 server.Plenty of filter to use. It's very good and easy to setup, plus they have good forum like this one.
    xmailserver.org/
    This is a good guide how to setup xmail;
    http://www.ubaight.com/xmail/BeginnersGuide.html

    For webmail, I use uebimiau, php based imap/pop.
    http://www.uebimiau.org/


  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    type
    Code:
    apropos ftp
    and you see ftp-related programs, with brief description, which should tell you, which of them is a server.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix for server
    By bmk789 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2005, 04:02 AM
  2. ftp-server and Knoppix 3.4
    By mk in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 01:52 PM
  3. Knoppix as a LAN server
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 05:04 PM
  4. X server crash: "Fatal server error: Active ring not fl
    By cmcclean in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2003, 01:52 PM
  5. Terminal Server: Suspend to Server for clients
    By Robert Michel in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 01:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD

$279.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 ) picture

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )

$24.99