-
Senior Member
registered user
wmv to mpg conversion
Howdy:
Do any of y'all know of any linux software that I can use to convert wmv files to mpg format? Can't seem to play wmv files on my 3.3 hdd system (at least not very well), even after downloading the latest win32 codecs.
Thanks
-
wmv to mpg conversion
This is taken from the MJPEG Tools documentation on SourceForge. You must have Mplayer and Mjpeg Tools (both must be built from source), but I have found it very useful for conversion of several tricky formats to mpeg 1 and 2 video streams; just by letting Mplayer do the work:
>mkfifo stream.yuv
>mplayer -nosound -noframedrop -vo yuv4mpeg anyfile.mpg &
>cat stream.yuv | yuv2lav -o mjpeg_wo.avi
>mplayer -vo null -ao pcm -aofile anyfile.wav anyfile.mpg
Then you can multiplex the audio and video streams with 'lavaddwav'
Some things to keep in mind, however, is that Mjpeg Tools does not currently support non-standard frame-rates, and some (I'm not exactly sure which) windows video codecs are now covered by patents, and therefore the resources are no longer available to decode such streams except without the proprietary software.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks kael. Is there any trouble building Mplayer and Mjpeg Tools under the 3.3 knoppix distro? Typically when I try to build something from source I run into a long list of prerequistes that I don't have.
By the way when I do:
apt-cache -g pkgnames | sort > packages.txt
and then vi packages.txt, I see
mplayer
mplayer-386
mplayer-586
mplayer-686
mplayer-custom
mplayer-g4
mplayer-k6
mplayer-k7
mplayer-nogui
mplayer-powerpc
mplayerplug-in
Would it do to just apt-get install mplayer? mjpegtools is also in the apt-cache list.
-
If the packages install with apt, then that would likely save you a lot of time.
To be honest with you, it's been a long time since I built Mplayer, and I do remember it being slightly tricky, and not working at all with an apt install. There is a resource, http://www.princessleia.com/MPlayer.html, that is geared specifically to building Mplayer from source for Debian.
I seem to recall Mjpeg Tools building without a hitch, but again, the binaries you get from apt would likely be time-saving.
I also read up a little bit more on those video codecs which are patented and this may all be for naught. The way I understand it, any wmv version 7 or later is proprietary and therefore will not be able to be decoded with third-party software.
Similar Threads
-
By Marvin in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-27-2005, 05:08 PM
-
By Kowood in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-23-2005, 04:10 AM
-
By Hotrocket in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-04-2003, 03:13 AM
-
By freeballer in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-15-2003, 04:59 PM
-
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-25-2003, 05:25 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$250.00

IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED
$165.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC
$1299.00

IBM 7946 AC1 System X3550 M2 Server NO HDD w/ Intel X5570+32GB PC3 RAM+2x PSU
$180.00