Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: wmv to mpg conversion

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    wmv to mpg conversion

    Howdy:

    Do any of y'all know of any linux software that I can use to convert wmv files to mpg format? Can't seem to play wmv files on my 3.3 hdd system (at least not very well), even after downloading the latest win32 codecs.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6

    wmv to mpg conversion

    This is taken from the MJPEG Tools documentation on SourceForge. You must have Mplayer and Mjpeg Tools (both must be built from source), but I have found it very useful for conversion of several tricky formats to mpeg 1 and 2 video streams; just by letting Mplayer do the work:

    >mkfifo stream.yuv

    >mplayer -nosound -noframedrop -vo yuv4mpeg anyfile.mpg &

    >cat stream.yuv | yuv2lav -o mjpeg_wo.avi

    >mplayer -vo null -ao pcm -aofile anyfile.wav anyfile.mpg

    Then you can multiplex the audio and video streams with 'lavaddwav'

    Some things to keep in mind, however, is that Mjpeg Tools does not currently support non-standard frame-rates, and some (I'm not exactly sure which) windows video codecs are now covered by patents, and therefore the resources are no longer available to decode such streams except without the proprietary software.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203
    Thanks kael. Is there any trouble building Mplayer and Mjpeg Tools under the 3.3 knoppix distro? Typically when I try to build something from source I run into a long list of prerequistes that I don't have.

    By the way when I do:
    apt-cache -g pkgnames | sort > packages.txt
    and then vi packages.txt, I see

    mplayer
    mplayer-386
    mplayer-586
    mplayer-686
    mplayer-custom
    mplayer-g4
    mplayer-k6
    mplayer-k7
    mplayer-nogui
    mplayer-powerpc
    mplayerplug-in

    Would it do to just apt-get install mplayer? mjpegtools is also in the apt-cache list.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6
    If the packages install with apt, then that would likely save you a lot of time.

    To be honest with you, it's been a long time since I built Mplayer, and I do remember it being slightly tricky, and not working at all with an apt install. There is a resource, http://www.princessleia.com/MPlayer.html, that is geared specifically to building Mplayer from source for Debian.

    I seem to recall Mjpeg Tools building without a hitch, but again, the binaries you get from apt would likely be time-saving.

    I also read up a little bit more on those video codecs which are patented and this may all be for naught. The way I understand it, any wmv version 7 or later is proprietary and therefore will not be able to be decoded with third-party software.

Similar Threads

  1. config conversion?
    By Marvin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 05:08 PM
  2. Modem Driver Conversion
    By Kowood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 04:10 AM
  3. NTFS Conversion
    By Hotrocket in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 03:13 AM
  4. kurumin .... to english conversion
    By freeballer in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 04:59 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2003, 05:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco C9400-LC-24XS Catalyst 9400 24-Port 10G SFP+ Line Card Module NEW SEALED picture

Cisco C9400-LC-24XS Catalyst 9400 24-Port 10G SFP+ Line Card Module NEW SEALED

$2804.00



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available

$97.49



Cisco Business CBS110-8T-D Unmanaged Switch, 8 Port GE, Desktop picture

Cisco Business CBS110-8T-D Unmanaged Switch, 8 Port GE, Desktop

$44.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99