Do you boot directly into X or do you have to log in and then type 'startx' ?Originally Posted by backdoc
I have Knoppix installed to the HD. If I log in as root, I get one resolution. If I log in as "knoppix" I get another. What's even more strange, is if I run a program as root while logged in as "knoppix user", it run's as root's resolution. Here's a screenshot.
http://www.crotchett.com/images/resolution.png Hopefully, my no-ip address will update itself.
I looked at fonts. But, they didn't really seem to have anything to do with it. They could, but it's not just the fonts that look bigger. Any ideas?
Darren
Do you boot directly into X or do you have to log in and then type 'startx' ?Originally Posted by backdoc
I boot to the GUI login manager. I think it's KDM. But, I don't know the difference between the different ones.Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
Thanks,
Darren
Sorry it took so long to get a reply posted. It's been hectic around here (exams, car trouble and so on).
OK well check out your XF86Config-4 file.
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
Log in as root and -check it out-log in as Knoppix-check it out. You could copy and paste to an email draft or save it to a text file for example just so you can have the two side by side and not have to constantly switch back and forth. The things I would look for are:
Under the "monitor" section
-HorizSync
-VertRefresh
Under the "device" section
-which driver is it using vga, svga, (mine's a savage for example)
Under the "screens" section (and here's where I would guess the problem to be)
-default depth
-are the modes the same under each SubSection "Disply"
Obviously if it is set to a default depth of 16 then you aren't utilizing your monitor very well- change the default to 24 or 32.
Post your XF86Config if you need help.

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
$280.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99
HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00
Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS
$249.98
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50