Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Screen Resolution Problems

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    9

    Screen Resolution Problems

    I have Knoppix installed to the HD. If I log in as root, I get one resolution. If I log in as "knoppix" I get another. What's even more strange, is if I run a program as root while logged in as "knoppix user", it run's as root's resolution. Here's a screenshot.

    http://www.crotchett.com/images/resolution.png Hopefully, my no-ip address will update itself.

    I looked at fonts. But, they didn't really seem to have anything to do with it. They could, but it's not just the fonts that look bigger. Any ideas?

    Darren

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Screen Resolution Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by backdoc
    I have Knoppix installed to the HD. If I log in as root, I get one resolution. If I log in as "knoppix" I get another.
    Do you boot directly into X or do you have to log in and then type 'startx' ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    9

    Re: Screen Resolution Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Quote Originally Posted by backdoc
    I have Knoppix installed to the HD. If I log in as root, I get one resolution. If I log in as "knoppix" I get another.
    Do you boot directly into X or do you have to log in and then type 'startx' ?
    I boot to the GUI login manager. I think it's KDM. But, I don't know the difference between the different ones.

    Thanks,
    Darren

    Sorry it took so long to get a reply posted. It's been hectic around here (exams, car trouble and so on).

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    OK well check out your XF86Config-4 file.

    /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    Log in as root and -check it out-log in as Knoppix-check it out. You could copy and paste to an email draft or save it to a text file for example just so you can have the two side by side and not have to constantly switch back and forth. The things I would look for are:
    Under the "monitor" section
    -HorizSync
    -VertRefresh
    Under the "device" section
    -which driver is it using vga, svga, (mine's a savage for example)
    Under the "screens" section (and here's where I would guess the problem to be)
    -default depth
    -are the modes the same under each SubSection "Disply"
    Obviously if it is set to a default depth of 16 then you aren't utilizing your monitor very well- change the default to 24 or 32.

    Post your XF86Config if you need help.

Similar Threads

  1. Screen resolution
    By Matth in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-12-2004, 08:33 PM
  2. Screen Resolution
    By manatarms1775 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 11:27 PM
  3. Problems getting the screen resolution right...
    By Coolnat2004 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-12-2003, 11:45 PM
  4. Screen Resolution
    By Patrick21 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 10:07 PM
  5. nvidia screen resolution problems, but right xfree86 config?
    By xound in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 08:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Micron 64GB (32GB x2) DDR5-5600 JEDEC DIMM Workstation Memory (Innodisk branded) picture

Micron 64GB (32GB x2) DDR5-5600 JEDEC DIMM Workstation Memory (Innodisk branded)

$895.00



Lot of 10 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 160GB picture

Lot of 10 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 160GB

$1319.99



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



LOT OF 6 Samsung 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V M386A8K40BM2-CTD6Q Server RAM picture

LOT OF 6 Samsung 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V M386A8K40BM2-CTD6Q Server RAM

$1799.99



Lot of 2 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 32GB picture

Lot of 2 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 32GB

$138.99



NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3 picture

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3

$550.00