-
Users cannot login anymore with KDM... startx works!
Hi all..
Got Knoppix 3.4 installed on HD (fabulous!)
yesterday, I was just trying to bypass the hdd autodetection and fstab re-generation during boot when I accidentally pressed ALT+F2 or something similar... from then on my user cannot login anynmore using KDM (only root can) no matter the window manager I choose... display cannot start and just flickers and gets back to the KDM screen after a few seconds...
if I boot to console (or set init runlevel to 3), log myself in manually and then run a "startx" everything is just fine, but I do need an automatic graphical login, I find it just useful!
I've been looking for a solution in this forum and in other groups, but no way! what the hell might have happened?
tried to see if the problem was a corrupted .Xauthority/.xsession file, or a persistent X0-lock in /tmp, but no... tried to set runlevel to 3 and then back to 5.. nothing to do.. is it maybe an ssh issue?? shall I try to create a new user and see if login works? has anyone experienced a similar problem?? please, help me!! thanks a lot in advance...
dariuZzz
-
Senior Member
registered user
dariuzzz,
No clue what file, or setting within any file, that does the job, so, I will drop back five yards, and punt...
You might try creating a "dummy" user account, test to be sure it gets into the GUI, and then drop back into a root login, check any files in the /home for "dummy", and compare them to what you have in your "real" users account... When you get your "real" user back into the GUI again, delete the "dummy" user account...
Best I can come up with...
Ms. Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By fordfasterr in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 02:27 PM
-
By tweetyhack in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-14-2004, 07:41 PM
-
By jeremymeindl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-29-2004, 01:06 AM
-
By ted_munga in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 50
Last Post: 11-09-2003, 09:03 PM
-
By john_h in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-25-2003, 09:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth
$39.99

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99

10x LOT: New in Box Cisco CP-7821-K9 VOIP Business Phones w/ Handsets + Stands
$795.00

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)
$17.99

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth
$49.95

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99