-
Problems with hard drive access permissions
I am trying to install GRUB to my MBR using a shell in Knoppix in order to get my SUSE install to work. I ran the command:
grub-install /dev/hda
but the following error message came up:
mkdir: cannot create directory '/boot/grub' : read only filesystem.
Please help, someone on another forum told my I had to change the access permitions for the drive and I do not know how to do this. BTW: I am a quite a noob, I have only got linux working once before on a single partition, I have never got it to dual boot with window$ xp before.
-
Senior Member
registered user
First check the grub-install man page at http://www.fifi.org/doc/grub-doc/html/grub_16.html. Maybe it will help you.
Try the following in a root shell to help get around the read-only error:
Code:
chroot /mnt/hda3 /bin/bash
where hda2 represents your linux / partition. In my pc hda1 is windowsXP, hda2 is swap and hda3 is linux / so I would use hda3.
Then try your grub-install /dev/hda command. To get out of the chroot, type exit or use the key combo CTRL-D.
I hope this helps.
James
-
Thanks james, I will try that. My hard drive is partitioned that way as well, with windows xp as hda1 and linux hda3 with the swap partition hda2. I will look at the link as well. In linux do you have to have the swap file in a seperate partition because in windows it is just a file in the root drive (C:\)
??
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Problems with hard drive access permissions

Originally Posted by
willkill69
I am trying to install GRUB to my MBR using a shell in Knoppix in order to get my SUSE install to work. I ran the command:
grub-install /dev/hda
but the following error message came up:
mkdir: cannot create directory '/boot/grub' : read only filesystem.
Please help, someone on another forum told my I had to change the access permitions for the drive and I do not know how to do this. BTW: I am a quite a noob, I have only got linux working once before on a single partition, I have never got it to dual boot with window$ xp before.
You need to use the --root-directory option like so:
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/hda1
voila!
-
Thanks very much for replying but none of the suggestions work. I have realised what I think the problem is. The windows partition is NTFS so I am probably unable to write anything onto it. I assume I was supposed to be using hda1 and not the Suse partition which is hda3???
I think that I will just have to install SUSE again unless anyone has any other ideas. What about installing lilo onto the mbr? How would I do that and would that be a reasonable solution to my problem?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
willkill69
Thanks very much for replying but none of the suggestions work. I have realised what I think the problem is. The windows partition is NTFS so I am probably unable to write anything onto it. I assume I was supposed to be using hda1 and not the Suse partition which is hda3???
I think that I will just have to install SUSE again unless anyone has any other ideas. What about installing lilo onto the mbr? How would I do that and would that be a reasonable solution to my problem?
To install lilo you'd need to use the chroot method posted by UnderScore. chroot and install lilo from there.
The win part format has nothing to do with your MBR as the MBR lives on the hidden track on the outside of the disc. Of course you need to install a boot loader into the MBR (or edit ntldr). The easiest way would be to boot into SuSE and install a boot loader from there. I prefer GRUB to lilo any day of the week. I realize that you cannot boot into SuSE. Does the SuSE install disc have some way of creating a boot floppy or perhaps even using GRUB from the bootable cd that you installed from? You could also make your own GRUB boot floppy and simply tell GRUB which kernel you have and where it lives and boot SuSE that way.
Similar Threads
-
By freddagg in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-27-2005, 06:40 PM
-
By ktas in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 12
Last Post: 09-08-2005, 12:01 AM
-
By rafaelorta in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-06-2005, 06:33 PM
-
By sonicspeedway in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-11-2004, 01:55 AM
-
By Colonel Sanders in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-21-2003, 04:47 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz Memory DIMM Tested Excellent Condition
$155.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1B1 16GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2133P-RBB-11 Server Memory RAM
$70.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

NEW Lenovo Samsung 64GB LPDDR5X 8533 MHz LPCAMM2 Memory,For ThinkPad P1 Gen7,8,9
$1349.00

SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2133MHz PC4-17000P-R 288-Pin ECC RDIMM, HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF
$55.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC
$370.00

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98