Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Problems with hard drive access permissions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3

    Problems with hard drive access permissions

    I am trying to install GRUB to my MBR using a shell in Knoppix in order to get my SUSE install to work. I ran the command:

    grub-install /dev/hda

    but the following error message came up:

    mkdir: cannot create directory '/boot/grub' : read only filesystem.

    Please help, someone on another forum told my I had to change the access permitions for the drive and I do not know how to do this. BTW: I am a quite a noob, I have only got linux working once before on a single partition, I have never got it to dual boot with window$ xp before.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    First check the grub-install man page at http://www.fifi.org/doc/grub-doc/html/grub_16.html. Maybe it will help you.
    Try the following in a root shell to help get around the read-only error:
    Code:
    mount /mnt/hda3
    Code:
    chroot /mnt/hda3 /bin/bash
    where hda2 represents your linux / partition. In my pc hda1 is windowsXP, hda2 is swap and hda3 is linux / so I would use hda3.
    Then try your grub-install /dev/hda command. To get out of the chroot, type exit or use the key combo CTRL-D.

    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thanks james, I will try that. My hard drive is partitioned that way as well, with windows xp as hda1 and linux hda3 with the swap partition hda2. I will look at the link as well. In linux do you have to have the swap file in a seperate partition because in windows it is just a file in the root drive (C:\)
    ??

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Problems with hard drive access permissions

    Quote Originally Posted by willkill69
    I am trying to install GRUB to my MBR using a shell in Knoppix in order to get my SUSE install to work. I ran the command:

    grub-install /dev/hda

    but the following error message came up:

    mkdir: cannot create directory '/boot/grub' : read only filesystem.

    Please help, someone on another forum told my I had to change the access permitions for the drive and I do not know how to do this. BTW: I am a quite a noob, I have only got linux working once before on a single partition, I have never got it to dual boot with window$ xp before.
    You need to use the --root-directory option like so:

    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/hda1

    voila!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thanks very much for replying but none of the suggestions work. I have realised what I think the problem is. The windows partition is NTFS so I am probably unable to write anything onto it. I assume I was supposed to be using hda1 and not the Suse partition which is hda3???

    I think that I will just have to install SUSE again unless anyone has any other ideas. What about installing lilo onto the mbr? How would I do that and would that be a reasonable solution to my problem?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by willkill69
    Thanks very much for replying but none of the suggestions work. I have realised what I think the problem is. The windows partition is NTFS so I am probably unable to write anything onto it. I assume I was supposed to be using hda1 and not the Suse partition which is hda3???

    I think that I will just have to install SUSE again unless anyone has any other ideas. What about installing lilo onto the mbr? How would I do that and would that be a reasonable solution to my problem?
    To install lilo you'd need to use the chroot method posted by UnderScore. chroot and install lilo from there.

    The win part format has nothing to do with your MBR as the MBR lives on the hidden track on the outside of the disc. Of course you need to install a boot loader into the MBR (or edit ntldr). The easiest way would be to boot into SuSE and install a boot loader from there. I prefer GRUB to lilo any day of the week. I realize that you cannot boot into SuSE. Does the SuSE install disc have some way of creating a boot floppy or perhaps even using GRUB from the bootable cd that you installed from? You could also make your own GRUB boot floppy and simply tell GRUB which kernel you have and where it lives and boot SuSE that way.

Similar Threads

  1. Hard drive read access error
    By freddagg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2005, 06:40 PM
  2. gpart utility: Can't access USB Hard Drive
    By ktas in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 12:01 AM
  3. Slow access to USB hard drive
    By rafaelorta in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2005, 06:33 PM
  4. Hard Drive Permissions
    By sonicspeedway in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 01:55 AM
  5. hard-drive access troubles
    By Colonel Sanders in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2003, 04:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth picture

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth

$39.99



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95



Yealink SIP-T46S IP Phone - Black picture

Yealink SIP-T46S IP Phone - Black

$20.00