Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Old Notebook Display Problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dortmund/Germany
    Posts
    6

    Old Notebook Display Problems

    Hello I use a Fujitsu Lifebook 64 MB Ram 3 GB HDD.
    I want to make a HDD install, but I have Problems with the display.
    I Use Knoppix 3.6
    When I type
    Code:
    boot: fb800x600 knoppix screen=800x600 noddc
    Then I have a display where I must scroll
    fb640x480 doesn't exists

    When I type
    Code:
    knoppix screen=640x480 noddc
    It doesn't work: I don't see anything only lights and darks

    Thanks for Idears
    Merlin

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    only guessing - perhaps there is a bootparameter like 'nofb' or 'fb=off'?

    64 MB will be very few for KDE or gnome or every X11-install.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dortmund/Germany
    Posts
    6
    Accord with the Knoppix CHEATCODES
    Code:
    vga=normal
    switch to "No-framebuffer mode, but X"

    But it doesn't work.

    Is there a special sequencing for the arguments?

    About the 64 MB with a swapfile: I thought too but I saw the Desktop I had only to scroll. Therefor I think iit can work?!?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    I saw the Desktop I had only to scroll.
    When booting from cd, while you now try from hd?

    Then you may edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 - file.
    Boot with the option '3'; yes - a single THREE without ...=3, which means runlevel 3, which is multiuser and networking without X11.
    BTW: order of options doesn't play a role.
    Code:
    mcedit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    look for the display-sections, and modify:
    Code:
            SubSection "Display"
                    Depth     32
                   Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
            EndSubSection
    to
    Code:
            SubSection "Display"
                    Depth     32
                   Modes "640x480"
            EndSubSection
    for all Depths (colordepth).
    after saving, trystartx

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dortmund/Germany
    Posts
    6
    When booting from cd, while you now try from hd?
    Why Do you meen I try to boot from HD?

    I want only to bot from CD in the first step!

    But to make it short:
    You are the hero!

    With your tips it work perfectly!

    Thank you very much!
    Regards
    Merlin

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dortmund/Germany
    Posts
    6
    There is one think I don't understand:
    I don't need to edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    when I start with knoppix 3
    and then directly type startx it work also??

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    a) I didn't really understood, why you once see something and have to scroll, and once you only have lights and darks. (800x600 vs. 640x480 I understand now).

    b) No idea. I allways boot to runlevel 3.

Similar Threads

  1. Aldi Medion MD95500 Notebook:Problems with Marvell Yukon NIC
    By medion_md95500 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 08:15 AM
  2. Booting Problems on Notebook
    By Yojk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 03:05 PM
  3. Problems with DVD/RW unit in W1000Ga notebook
    By javiergp in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 09:26 AM
  4. Toshiba Notebook Display too small
    By Kamakize in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-27-2003, 01:29 AM
  5. Display Problems with Gateway Notebook
    By Chris Ruhl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 02:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$59.99



Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit picture

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit

$199.97



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95