Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Boot freeze on Pavilion ze4610US

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1

    Boot freeze on Pavilion ze4610US

    Okay, I've got Knoppix 3.4 burned and working, but I can't get it to boot my HP Pavilion laptop on anything other than failsafe. I've searched these forums and tried the stuff that seems to have worked for others, but not working for me. Here's what's going on:

    Knoppix boot screen loads, it hit enter and first 2 lines load, "minirt24.gz.....", then screen blanks out and nothing. CD access stops and nothing.

    I've tried the following boot cheatcodes so far:

    fb1024x768
    knoppix screen=1024x768
    nodma
    nodma nopcmcia noapm
    and a few other cheatcodes that looked like they'd be helpful but I can't remember.

    Anyone gotten knoppix 3.4 to boot with this laptop?

    Thanks,
    Jason

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA USA
    Posts
    2

    Booting Knoppix 3.4 on HP/Compaq

    I'm getting the same symptoms with a Presario 2175US. Knoppix 3.3 works like a charm -
    just hit <cr> at the boot prompt and everything just works.

    I have noticed that while I can boot in failsafe mode, my X display is corrupted --- just about 2" or random color hash along the top of the screen.

    Any help deeply appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Charlie

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    bellingham, WA, USA
    Posts
    1

    you're not alone..

    i wish i had a fix, but i can only say that i have the same exact problem..
    i have an hp pavilion ze4600 .. 3.2 and 3.3 work great, even on hd...

    if i boot in failsafe and let it sit, it will eventually bring up the full splash and the kde dialog, but it freezes and disables all buttons - even my cdrom eject.
    i had to take the battery out to get it to stop - ouch..

    i've checked the checksum of my iso and it's fine. suppose this is a bug.. i've just read that there are "a couple of new steps" concerning the hw-detection ( ironically this is why i wanted 3.4 so much, for a wireless card..)

    please post any fix!!! thanks.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1
    To boot up in Knoopix put in 'knoppix acpi=no' (no quotes) This should allow you to boot up

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Beverly, MA. USA
    Posts
    3
    I have currently installed on my ze4610us Knoppix 3.4. I encountered the same problem. Now I use the 2.6 kernel and this is the boot prompt cheatcodes i used to get this to run.

    knoppix26 apm=off nolapic noscsi momce acpi=on

    The nolapic is needed so acpi will work. What's happening o theboot that hangs is that it is looking for a scsi device that is obviously not there. BTW this only startedhappening on this laptop with knoppix 3.4, Knoppix 3.3 did not have this happen. And yes it still happens with 3.6 BTW

    Hope this helps.

  6. #6
    I was having the same problem running 3.6 on my ZE4800 pavillion, I used:

    knoppix26 nolapic

    at the boot and it worked just fine. Now im having wireless problems but I at least can boot up.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1
    I am getting the same problem. After knoppix boots, the screen goes blanks. I've tried typing the cheatcodes that are here and some others on some other sites. The only one that ever does anything is the vga=normal and all that happens then is it will say "uncompressed kenral" something like that and then will just sit there. does anybody know a fix for this?

Similar Threads

  1. Boot Freeze.
    By rvijay in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 05:11 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 12:26 PM
  3. cd in, no boot: screen... weird error and freeze... help!
    By Rockstar in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2003, 01:18 AM
  4. Freeze on start of boot (CD/Poor mans HD)
    By morder in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-25-2003, 03:51 PM
  5. Mouse freeze during kde boot
    By Juzam in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2003, 11:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H picture

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H

$104.98



Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER  picture

Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER

$39.99



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$107.67