Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Not a newbie but never really started either.

  1. #1

    Not a newbie but never really started either.

    I've been through numerous distributions thus far and determined that installing a program on Linux is purely a magic trick and I'm no magician. It took me weeks to recover from the concussion I received trying to install abiword on Mandrake 9.0 which I never managed to accomplish. I can deal this with for the most part because the software packaged with each distro is generally second to none.

    Here's my dilemna. I've determined that a debian management distribution is the way to go from what I've read. I enjoyed Mepis but I didn't like KDE that much. Mandrake offered me choices of GUIs at log in and Mepis didn't. I prefer Gnome for the most part so I downloaded and tried Gnoppix. Gnome 2.6.? was awesome but the screen was only 640 by 480 in the center of the screen with blue pinstripes. Mandrake and Mepis at least didn't have screen resolution issues.

    Shewww I'm long winded. Does Knoppix give me a choice of guis? All I'm seeing thus far is KDE this and KDE that. KDE is great as is Gnome and I want the choice between the two on a debian managed system.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Knoppix comes with KDE, XFCE, icewm & a couple of others but not Gnome. However, I gree that Debian/apt-get is the easiest way to install things. Like you, I have greyed more than a few hairs trying to install things on Mandrake...in my case trying to upgrade MDK 9.2 to KDE 3.2. Which is one of the big reasons I'm back with Knoppix, it's one of the easiest ways to get a Debian system install.
    Put your left leg out, hokey-pokey, you should be able to install Gnome without much problem. You will have to modify a few xsession startup scripts to get away from having Knoppix use KDE but that shouldn't be too hard & there are lots of willing non-KDE users here to help you out.

  3. #3
    I don't currently own a copy of Knoppix 3.6, the only distributions I currently own are Gnoppix 0.8(sad, so very sad) and Simply Mepis RC4. The RC4 is a slick piece of work very nicely done but no gnome. To get you guys to assist me in placing gnome into a debian-kde default distribution I'll have to get a copy of 3.6 right or could you help me get gnome into my Mepis. Yes I realize this is the knoppix.net forum but they are cousins of sorts. I'd continue with Gnoppix but the screen resolution issue overwhelms me. I managed to fix it with Mepis the last time by flashing the bios with the latest but that update has no effect on Gnoppix. The copy of Mepis I own has a second software disc that includes all of the libraries for gnome which I attempted to install once but had no luck in doing so.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Gnoppix might comes with this utility : kxconfig
    Try it in root konsole.

  5. #5
    I'll try that and keep you posted. I still want to entertain the thought of installing Gnome into Mepis or if need purchase a copy of Knoppix 3.6 then install it there.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by hokeypokey31
    I don't currently own a copy of Knoppix 3.6, the only distributions I currently own are Gnoppix 0.8(sad, so very sad) and Simply Mepis RC4. The RC4 is a slick piece of work very nicely done but no gnome. To get you guys to assist me in placing gnome into a debian-kde default distribution I'll have to get a copy of 3.6 right or could you help me get gnome into my Mepis. Yes I realize this is the knoppix.net forum but they are cousins of sorts. I'd continue with Gnoppix but the screen resolution issue overwhelms me. I managed to fix it with Mepis the last time by flashing the bios with the latest but that update has no effect on Gnoppix. The copy of Mepis I own has a second software disc that includes all of the libraries for gnome which I attempted to install once but had no luck in doing so.
    Installing Gnome should be easy; just 'apt-get install gnome'. (apt-get update to update your package s list first). Check with the gnome website to what are the actual packages you need.
    I suggest also you install a graphical package browser-installer such as synaptic so you can 'go shopping' for packages. I use kpackage but you are trying to get away from KDE.
    The maybe more difficult part is figuring out how to get gnome to be the default desktop in mepis. Since it is (I think) a knoppix derivative, it may have similar startup scripts, they will be in /etc/X11,possibly (like Knoppix) /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession.
    Once you find it, edit the script to make gnome the default desktop.

  7. #7
    I have all the packages on the 2nd disc so I need to apt get them but I have no idea how to modify the script. I truly enjoy Gnome, it's not windows like and it's easier to me.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    run this command in root konsole with your cdrom in cd drive:
    apt-cdrom add

    This will add list to your /etc/apt/sources.lst

    Then proceed with installation using apt-get update and apt-get install.
    If you have synaptic or kpackage, it will make it easier for you to install gnome because you can see what you want.

Similar Threads

  1. 3.8.1 started locking up
    By atrick-pay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 05:04 AM
  2. Problem getting STARTED even.....
    By sirknot in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 08:34 PM
  3. got Knoppix started, now what?
    By sirknot in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 06:35 AM
  4. Help Getting started!
    By s10237 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 03:08 PM
  5. newbie: Where is window manager started, and how to change?
    By Criamon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 03:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 DDR4 PC4-2133P M393A4K40BB0-CPB4Q ECC Server Memory Module picture

Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 DDR4 PC4-2133P M393A4K40BB0-CPB4Q ECC Server Memory Module

$150.00



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON picture

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON

$149.99