-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
hokeypokey31
I don't currently own a copy of Knoppix 3.6, the only distributions I currently own are Gnoppix 0.8(sad, so very sad) and Simply Mepis RC4. The RC4 is a slick piece of work very nicely done but no gnome. To get you guys to assist me in placing gnome into a debian-kde default distribution I'll have to get a copy of 3.6 right or could you help me get gnome into my Mepis. Yes I realize this is the knoppix.net forum but they are cousins of sorts. I'd continue with Gnoppix but the screen resolution issue overwhelms me. I managed to fix it with Mepis the last time by flashing the bios with the latest but that update has no effect on Gnoppix. The copy of Mepis I own has a second software disc that includes all of the libraries for gnome which I attempted to install once but had no luck in doing so.
Installing Gnome should be easy; just 'apt-get install gnome'. (apt-get update to update your package s list first). Check with the gnome website to what are the actual packages you need.
I suggest also you install a graphical package browser-installer such as synaptic so you can 'go shopping' for packages. I use kpackage but you are trying to get away from KDE.
The maybe more difficult part is figuring out how to get gnome to be the default desktop in mepis. Since it is (I think) a knoppix derivative, it may have similar startup scripts, they will be in /etc/X11,possibly (like Knoppix) /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession.
Once you find it, edit the script to make gnome the default desktop.
Similar Threads
-
By atrick-pay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-03-2005, 05:04 AM
-
By sirknot in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-10-2005, 08:34 PM
-
By sirknot in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-10-2005, 06:35 AM
-
By s10237 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-09-2005, 03:08 PM
-
By Criamon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-14-2003, 03:42 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic
$100.00

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read
$199.99

Vintage Edmark TouchWindow for Macintosh DeskTop Computer Touch Window Never Usd
$63.99

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck
$99.99

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$150.00

Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X
$180.00

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$99.00

Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces
$40.99

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage
$249.00