If you want to use guarddog i suggest you go to http://klik.berlios.de
Hi,
First visit here, knoppix knewbe ...
Just wanted to give a great big THANKS to those who took part in writing the "Poor-Man's-Installation".
I've tried various versions of linux before ... quite overwhelming for a life-long windows user, I'll have to admit.
Fortunately ... I was turned on to knoppix by a friend and I am really impressed with it's ease of use and how complete a package it is!
Google obviously pointed me in the right direction when it steered me to this site and doing the poor-man's installation was about as painless as it gets ... after reading the great instructions here. Don't get me wrong, I will still keep xp on my box for a while to support my Delorme software and AutoCAD, but for day-to-day surfin', searchin', knoppix is more than I ever dreamed it could be.
I only seem to be having one major problem so far.
That is when I go to the Root terminal and type in "apt-get update" or "apt-get install ..."
I get the following message:
"Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock"
I've made sure that my hard drive (hda3 in this case) is not "Read Only" and am working from the Root terminal, but still get the message. I'd love to download guarddog for peace of mind, but am not able to do so until I figure out how to get around this locking business.
Guess I don't understand what locking is or how to install stuff yet.
Thanks for any help you can provide ... and another thanks of the plain english hard drive installation instructions written for those of us who have been "windows brainwashed" for way too long.
Thanx
Dave
If you want to use guarddog i suggest you go to http://klik.berlios.de
The reason it's called the poor man's install is it isn't a proper debian/knoppix install. The Knoppix filesystem is read-only ( as it is a ISO9669/CDROM filesystem ), so apt-won't work. However klik will, as it saves programs in your home directory which is writable.
klik worked great!
now to learn how to use guarddog properly.
Thanks for the tips and info.
Dave

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
MSI H310M PRO-VDH PLUS MicroATX LGA1151 Intel DDR4 2 DIMM M.2 PCIe. READ DETAILS
$41.12
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard
$95.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99