-
Thanks to all who worked on the Poor-Man's-Installation
Hi,
First visit here, knoppix knewbe ...
Just wanted to give a great big THANKS to those who took part in writing the "Poor-Man's-Installation".
I've tried various versions of linux before ... quite overwhelming for a life-long windows user, I'll have to admit.
Fortunately ... I was turned on to knoppix by a friend and I am really impressed with it's ease of use and how complete a package it is!
Google obviously pointed me in the right direction when it steered me to this site and doing the poor-man's installation was about as painless as it gets ... after reading the great instructions here. Don't get me wrong, I will still keep xp on my box for a while to support my Delorme software and AutoCAD, but for day-to-day surfin', searchin', knoppix is more than I ever dreamed it could be.
I only seem to be having one major problem so far.
That is when I go to the Root terminal and type in "apt-get update" or "apt-get install ..."
I get the following message:
"Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock"
I've made sure that my hard drive (hda3 in this case) is not "Read Only" and am working from the Root terminal, but still get the message. I'd love to download guarddog for peace of mind, but am not able to do so until I figure out how to get around this locking business.
Guess I don't understand what locking is or how to install stuff yet.
Thanks for any help you can provide ... and another thanks of the plain english hard drive installation instructions written for those of us who have been "windows brainwashed" for way too long.
Thanx
Dave
Similar Threads
-
By xfiles in forum Knoppix DVD
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-02-2005, 06:20 AM
-
By eculbert2 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-21-2005, 06:49 PM
-
By Genettic in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-16-2005, 05:33 AM
-
By max-ebb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-25-2004, 10:20 PM
-
By Obsidian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-28-2003, 06:34 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$12.00

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01