Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: How to install GRUB?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    13

    How to install GRUB?

    Well, thats what I have:
    laptop with no FDD
    knoppix with poor man's install (iso image is on c:/ - hda1, and the home directory is on d:/ - hda5)
    on the c:/ -hda1 is my WinXP, and on the d:/ - hda5 I have other files and programs, which I use with windows, so I need them and that's why I can't format this partition and make a knoppix full hdd install.
    So, how can I install GRUB???
    I've tryed to install it trough knoppix, but I had no success
    There was a message that I can't write to hda1 and hda5 anything (even they are mounted and fully writable).
    I have no USB drive to boot from, only CDRom. So, how can I install GRUB?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: How to install GRUB?

    Quote Originally Posted by morgan73
    Well, thats what I have a laptop with no FDD ... I have no USB drive to boot from, only CDRom. So, how can I install GRUB?
    You can install grub into the mbr of your disk, but you don't have to !
    You can do it all from windows (and also remove it all) using explorer and notepad. Basically you just need to add the line "c:\grldr="Start Grub" at the end of your c:\boot.ini and add some files in your ntfs /dev/hda1 partition. Then reboot and enjoy...
    I will sugest you to have a look at this forum: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...r=asc&start=90
    Cheers, Gilles

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    For normal hdd installation:
    apt-get install grub
    /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda
    update-grub
    Then check /boot/grub/menu.lst and edit to your requirement.

    But for your system, that procedure, I don't think will work since you are using poorman hdd install. Apt-get will not work so do with installation of other application from source code. Unless you use klik and point.

    Your option is to use Grub for Dos.
    http://newdos.yginfo.net/grubdos.htm
    Don't ask me how because I never use it.
    Check on post title ISO boot from NTFS (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini)
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796
    They been actively discussing about it
    Good luck

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by shah
    Your option is to use Grub for Dos.
    http://newdos.yginfo.net/grubdos.htm Don't ask me how because I never use it.
    The version of grub I have been using is in this post
    ISO boot from NTFS (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini) http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796
    is based on grub4dos ... I just recompiled it with the latest patches and network support. Good luck, Gilles

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    13
    Just to say that I`m using Fat32 on both C: and D: instead of NTFS
    But everywhere is discusing about the NTFS. Is there any difference abou instaling and configuring GRUB to run Knoppix with poor man`s install?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5
    used above regular hd install method to install GRUB, works fine. only problem is some stuff is in german, like all the apt-get stuff. yet i have all the regional options set to US. anyway to fix this?

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan73
    Just to say that I`m using Fat32 on both C: and D: instead of NTFS
    But everywhere is discusing about the NTFS. Is there any difference abou instaling and configuring GRUB to run Knoppix with poor man`s install?
    It works as well if you a fat16/32. If you are running 98 or me you can also use grub.exe from dos. grldr is launched from nt/xp boot loader using the boot.ini. Gilles

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda
    used above regular hd install method to install GRUB, works fine. only problem is some stuff is in german, like all the apt-get stuff. yet i have all the regional options set to US. anyway to fix this?
    A temporary fix is to do:
    Code:
    export LANG=C
    Everything will be in English again.

    But I'm currently (also) looking for a more permanent fix.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Permanent fix:
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure locales
    Use this program to clean out the locales you don't need (aka keep en_US, en_GB, and maybe your local languages). Then on the next screen you may chose the system language. You should chose en_US I think, since not all debian stuff maybe translated, or that well translated. After you chose [OK] it will start cleaning the locales it has stored.

    KDE has it's own language settings. But sometimes the locale settings peek trough, the Kaffeine mediaplayer is an example of this.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5
    found a better option i think. just stuck the lang=us cheatcode in my grub menu.lst file, at the end of the kernel statement. console and everything else is in english now, so seems good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. grub install
    By spiff_s50 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2005, 08:40 PM
  2. Help with install... grub.
    By xlr8r in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 03:30 PM
  3. Can Knoppix be used to install grub in the MBR
    By cykick in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 06:20 PM
  4. how do i install grub?
    By djmihow in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 07:44 AM
  5. LILO: Get rid of it to install GRUB
    By arthur in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 05:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95 picture

Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95

$119.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$354.48



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99