Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: no boot at all

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6

    no boot at all

    I'm runnning knoppix v 3.4 and v.3.6

    Both with the same result. No matter which boot option i'm using what I see is the penguin on the upper right but nothing else.

    I mean I tried to avoid everything:

    knoppix noapic noagp noapm nofirewire nopcmcia noscsi nousb

    Not Even "knoppix testcd" or "knoppix-txt" is working. The CDs are official published I didn't burned them on my own so there shouldn't be any errors.

    I'd be happy for any suggestions.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    Hm, have you tried 'knoppix nodma' or even 'knoppix failsave'?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6
    Yap. I had tried both. No reaction at all...

    I even struggle to get an error message because there is not one single text line. Just the sweet penguin.

    When I use kernel 2.6 I get some lines at least, the last two are:

    Code:
    Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
    Using anticipatory io scheduler
    That's it.
    And as i told you there is no difference if i start with any options.[/code][/quote]

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    have you tried knoppix26 2 vga=normal ?
    that will drop you in a textmode console. if that works we might get some other information that way...
    if your answer is "yes i have tried that"i have nothing much more to say.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    18

    TRY THIS!!!

    My friend, well i havenīt boot with knoppix yet, but I can gave you some clues that didnīt work to me but I think they would be very usefull to you:
    Try mem=(your ram memory in Mb)M (ITīS IMPORTANT IN CAPITAL LETTER), thatīs becouse some systems shared RAM with the graphic card, and can cause problems, other thing is vga=normal, with no framebuffer thatīs mean no acceleration in console mode, there are other few things but try these and tell me how it work. AND IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME I HAVE A PCCHIPS ALL ONBORARD BUT THE MODEM. IīM THE ONLY LINUX FAN WHO HAS NEVER USED LINUX !!!!!!!

    Orion

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6
    Unfortunatly both suggestions didn't improve my situation.

    It freezes at exactly the same position as I described above.

    I really have no idea what to do as there is no error message at all.
    Hopefully Axiomatico who never runned linux before (?!) has some more suggestions.

    I'm getting mad.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Try with acpi=off, your problem often occurs on incompatible acpi system.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6
    I did....no difference up to now..

    Seems like knoppix doesn't boot at all.

    one additional fact:
    the former os was WinXP and there didn't occured any problems.

    Do we have to surrender where WinXP was successful? I don't think so.

    Some more advices?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    It's time for you to post your pc spec. Your mobo, your vga card, how much memory...etc.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Another Q, do you have hardware raid on your system?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$299.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$74.99



6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips  picture

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips

$125.00



VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C picture

VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C

$140.00



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC Digital M8153 RH70 UNIBUS CONTROL-BCT (B15) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8153 RH70 UNIBUS CONTROL-BCT (B15)

$139.99



Vintage DEC Digital Rainbow Drive Controller PC100 RD51 CNTLR picture

Vintage DEC Digital Rainbow Drive Controller PC100 RD51 CNTLR

$69.99