Anyone, Im a newbie to linux, and Im trying to find out why its "so great".
Thanks,
Kenny
I know this is probably a stupid question, but what are the major differences between windows and linux/unix as far as OS Design goes? How is one more stable than the other. Which is faster all around on the same hardware(I know this is difficult to answer, apples to oranges). These are just a few of the many questions I have on the topic.
Thanks,
Kenny
Anyone, Im a newbie to linux, and Im trying to find out why its "so great".
Thanks,
Kenny
It's not only stable, but it also gives you so much more control. You're not binded by the options included in a particular gui screen. I also like how an app can freeze up the whole screen (which would incapacitate windows) and you can just drop back into a terminal and kill the offending program. There are lots of reasons...and I imagine everybody likes different parts. I also love that every program I need is free and can be installed within seconds. As far as which is faster, I have a very streamlined windows install on both my desktop and my laptop. Linux still beats windows on both systems.
Getting used to using it and learning to configure things and such are tough in the beginning (although knoppix really makes it as easy as possible). But it's worth it if you stick it out.![]()
NT is micro-kernel based(thus MS can cramp it into 256K memory on Xbox), linux is monolithic. So if MS wants, they can make NT as small as linux, contrary to the Windows is bulk, linux is small believe.
However, after putting in all the necessary stuffs for a modern "OS"(mostly GUI related), they are more or less the same. But the design philosophy of linux(which is nothing but a kernel and gives no special consideration to GUI) make it more responsive to other task under heavy load whereas Windows would be easily dragged down by the GUI. So linux is much better for server usage.
Linux can be monolithic but can also be very modular. i prefer a middle way. some things i allways need (like network, graphics...) are in kernel other things like modem, paralell-port cdburner... are as modules. i guess i could get a kernel to be about 800K but that would require external drivers for many things...
256k and 800k kernels?????? That rediculously small! I had no Idea.
How do you kill programs in Knoppix?Originally Posted by champagnemojo
![]()
How do you kill programs in Knoppix?Originally Posted by champagnemojo
![]()
The easiest way to kill a graphical program is to use xkill. I think Ctrl-Alt-Esc might bring it up...but I can't remember for sure whehter or not that shortcut is set up in Knoppix. If not you can run it from konsole by typing xkill. It will bring up a little square cursor and you just click on the offending app.Originally Posted by cyberstew
You can also use the command "killall -9 appname". If some app has frozen up X, you can drop back to a terminal and use this to get things going again. This command is also useful when an app doesn't exit right so that the window goes away but the process is still running.
I think thats a short cut for knoppix.Originally Posted by champagnemojo
You could also try
ps xa |grep app name
and kill the program with
kill corresponding number

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99