Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Can I format C drive with Knoppix?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2

    Can I format C drive with Knoppix?

    Hello,

    I wonder if I can format C drive with Knoppix. I have a virus which I haven't been able to remove and am looking for a solution for clean formatting on my C drive. If Knoppix can do the job, can I install XP again?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    should work. atleast if you can stand fat32 as filesystem.
    if you need NTFS it might need to be formatted from Windows installer aswell (but drive shold have been wiped before so...)
    gparted is what you are looking for. or fdisk and mkefs...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2
    Sorry to bother you again. I tried to download Knopix but I am not sure which ones I am supposed to get. Do I need all those?

    KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso 22-Aug-2004 16:01 700M
    KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5 22-Aug-2004 16:03 1k
    KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5.asc 22-Aug-2004 16:05 1k

    Also, do I just burn a CD after download?

    Thanks for your help!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by janggu
    Sorry to bother you again. I tried to download Knopix but I am not sure which ones I am supposed to get. Do I need all those?

    KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso 22-Aug-2004 16:01 700M
    KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5 22-Aug-2004 16:03 1k
    KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5.asc 22-Aug-2004 16:05 1k

    Also, do I just burn a CD after download?

    Thanks for your help!
    Please read the fine documentation found here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqDownloading

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    should work. atleast if you can stand fat32 as filesystem.
    if you need NTFS it might need to be formatted from Windows installer aswell (but drive shold have been wiped before so...)
    gparted is what you are looking for. or fdisk and mkefs...
    qtparted is a little more friendly IMO.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Posts
    5
    Hey, I have a notebook that use to have windows, now is compleatly dead (virus I gues), I wonder if -and how- can I conect this portable to mine -that if using knoppix 3.6- and restore it.
    Just a little thing...I am just a begginer with linux...

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    29
    el santo,

    Knoppix is a fairly decent tool for data recovery off a troubled windoze computer. Boot Knoppix and browse around the hard drive partitions and see if anything you want to save is listed. If so you can burn a CD using k3b. If the system has only one CD Rom drive you may have to attach an external unit since you can't remove the knoppix CD and burn at the same time.

    Good luck in your data recovery.

    JP

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Hard Drive Format compatibility
    By Phr0stbyt3 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 02:17 AM
  2. I can't format my hard drive, can i do it with knoppix?
    By johnnymoha in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 07:09 AM
  3. How can I format my hard drive?
    By welsh_boy01 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 10:24 PM
  4. how do you format a hard drive from knoppix?
    By likwid in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 03:52 AM
  5. how do i format a SATA drive from knoppix
    By likwid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic picture

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic

$24.95



Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1 picture

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1

$60.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM picture

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM

$99.99



LOT OF 5 Samsung 870 EVO 500GB 2.5

LOT OF 5 Samsung 870 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA SSD TLC DRAM 95% or Better

$250.00



WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus 11.0

WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus 11.0" 128GB Black SM-X210

$139.99