Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix and parted

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Knoppix and parted

    Attempting to resize /hda5 which has Knoppix 3.4 installed. Parted refuses & returns error message "This ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout. Parted is unable to resize this (yet)."
    Well, parted was never able to resize,end the end I had to delete hda5 & then create a new larger partition which of course meant that I had to do a gut & rebuild on my Knoppix installation.
    I checked immediately after a new clean Knoppix style install & parted reported the 'strange layout' on the brand new install.
    So what is strange about the Knoppix filesystem to cause this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: Knoppix and parted

    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Attempting to resize /hda5 which has Knoppix 3.4 installed. Parted refuses & returns error message "This ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout. Parted is unable to resize this (yet)."
    Well, parted was never able to resize,end the end I had to delete hda5 & then create a new larger partition which of course meant that I had to do a gut & rebuild on my Knoppix installation.
    I checked immediately after a new clean Knoppix style install & parted reported the 'strange layout' on the brand new install.
    So what is strange about the Knoppix filesystem to cause this?
    It think knoppix prefers to have a ext3 FS and may have formatted it to that without you knowing. That could be causeing problems.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Knoppix and parted

    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10

    It think knoppix prefers to have a ext3 FS and may have formatted it to that without you knowing. That could be causeing problems.
    Yes, it is an ext3 system but that is not the problem. Parted was able to resize another ext3 system which did not have knoppix on it.
    Here's the story. I have 6G HD on my laptop, 1.8G for winME, 2.3 Knoppix, remainder vfat for data. As I'm now using windows less, I removed what I didn't need & found I had about 800 M left over. So tried to resize hda1 to 1.1G & increase hda5 to 3 G using parted. Was able to reduce hda1 (dos primary) & increase hda2 (dos extended) but it refused to attempt hda5. It also damaged some windows files so I ended up removing windows & formatting hda1 ext3. I could then resize it OK but was still unable to resize hda5. Eventaully I gave up, deleted hda5 then made new larger hda5. I was able to resize this but as soon as I installed Knoppix I got the same strange fs error.
    Parted also managed to create overlapping partitons, so that cfdisk refused to open /dev/hda but qtparted corrected this.
    Ended up with a real gut & rebuild session.

Similar Threads

  1. How do I update QT parted?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 01:06 PM
  2. How do I update QT parted?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 09:56 AM
  3. Knoppix and parted
    By JoBlack in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 01:24 PM
  4. GNU Parted
    By ferreter in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2003, 08:22 AM
  5. qtparted or parted
    By nex56 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2003, 12:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco 6500 WS-X6148A-GE-45AF 48-Port 10/100/1000 RJ-45 802.3af PoE Card Module. picture

Cisco 6500 WS-X6148A-GE-45AF 48-Port 10/100/1000 RJ-45 802.3af PoE Card Module.

$80.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch

$69.99



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99



Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points picture

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points

$36.00