Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: IM for Yahoo

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5

    IM for Yahoo

    I would like to setup Yahoo IM and I do not know what to do. Yahoo has a download for Red Hat and FreeBSD. As you can see I am a newbie at this Linux stuff. Thanks in Advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Please see http://klik.berlios.de - you can install it from there.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5
    I get protocol not supported error. It said that Klik needed to be installed first. I followed the instructions. Im running Knoppix 3.6

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfThaNet
    I get protocol not supported error. It said that Klik needed to be installed first. I followed the instructions. Im running Knoppix 3.6
    In order to install the klik client:

    *Be sure you are online
    * Copy the following text:
    Code:
    wget klik.berlios.de/client/install -O -|sh
    * Press Alt-F2 and paste the text there and press OK

    Please wait until you get the following message:
    Code:
    Now you can start installing software. 
    Opening the klik point-and-klik software store...
    Now you can point-and-klik to install the software packages.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Gaim supports the yahoo messenger.
    Did you try that?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Yahoo messenger do comes with debian package.
    http://download.yahoo.com/dl/unix/ym...0.4_1_i386.deb

    But before you install ymessenger, you need to install libssl0.9.6 first or else you will encounter unmet dependencies problem.

    apt-get install libssl0.9.6
    Then install ymessenger.


  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5
    shah, I'm not sure what or how to get libssl0.9.6 I'm NEW to Linux. Any help is arppreciated! I don't Unix form Linux. I am real green and I want to learn.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Okay, asumming you already download ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb.

    Open kosole and type this command:
    su <enter> **it will ask for root password, enter that password
    apt-get update <enter> ** you don't need to run this if you already done it before.
    apt-get install libssl0.9.6 <enter> **this will install libssl0.96 from net

    Then change to the directory where you save ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb.
    ex:
    cd /home/yourname/download <enter>
    dpkg -i ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb <enter>
    ymessenger <enter> **this will run ymessenger and will ask you to configure your yahoo messenger.

    You can also install .deb package using gui (kpackage) if it is installed in
    your system.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5

    Thanks for all the help..............

    I was able to setup Yahoo IM with Klik

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by shah
    Okay, asumming you already download ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb.

    Open kosole and type this command:
    su <enter> **it will ask for root password, enter that password
    apt-get update <enter> ** you don't need to run this if you already done it before.
    apt-get install libssl0.9.6 <enter> **this will install libssl0.96 from net

    Then change to the directory where you save ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb.
    ex:
    cd /home/yourname/download <enter>
    dpkg -i ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb <enter>
    ymessenger <enter> **this will run ymessenger and will ask you to configure your yahoo messenger.

    You can also install .deb package using gui (kpackage) if it is installed in
    your system.
    Thank you Shah for your detailed instructions. I was able to install YM.
    [Note: it is not libss10.9.6 [10 dot 9 dot 6], it is lib-ssl-0-9-6]

    Thanks a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. yahoo messenger install help
    By BrainDeadAngel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 03:46 PM
  2. yahoo messenger
    By magoo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2003, 05:15 PM
  3. How Do I Chat Using Yahoo MSN msngr? Pl Tell
    By jamesmedline in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2003, 09:20 PM
  4. installing yahoo messanger
    By harish in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-1970, 04:23 PM
  5. installing yahoo messanger
    By harish in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-1970, 04:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$42.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00