Go to /boot/grub and edit the menu file.Originally Posted by rrfish72
I need to edit the boot options and want to know where the file is and what it is called. I am running Kanotix BH7 kernal version 2.67 I think. Just trying to change the boot timer, the default, and the names.
Go to /boot/grub and edit the menu file.Originally Posted by rrfish72
/boot/grub/menu.lst
I canget to that part, but how does the window work?
grub>
Possible commands are: blocklist boot cat chainloader cmp color configfile de
bug device displayapm displaymem dump embed find fstest geometry halt help hid
e impsprobe initrd install ioprobe kernel lock makeactive map md5crypt module
modulenounzip pager partnew parttype password pause quit read reboot root root
noverify savedefault serial setkey setup terminal terminfo testload testvbe un
hide uppermem vbeprobe
grub>
kernel
Error 12: Invalid device requested
grub>
What do I do from here?
You don't need to run grub console. You only need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst. That's all to it. Grub will read it when it boots.
Unlike lilo, after you edit lilo.conf, you need to run lilo to update what you have change in lilo.conf.
![]()
![]()
![]()
Got it. Thank you very much.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s
$59.00
Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00
Western Digital WD Caviar Green WD30EZRX 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM SATA III Hard Drive
$45.04
HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99