I ended up deleting the partition in Win2000 and then qtparted seemed to be able to deal with it.
Okay I am trying to install knoppix to my hard drive, an NTFS formatted 6GB drive with one primary dos partition - qtparted shows the drive as "Disks - /dev/hdd" but each time I try to click on it to partition, I get the error message "Critical error suring ped_disk_new!"
and can;t go any further. I have the drive on the second IDE and have the first IDE disabled (so that knoppix can't access or do anything to my WIndows 2000 hard drive) - so on this IDE I just have the CD rom and the 6 gig ata drive. ANy help is appreciated -
I ended up deleting the partition in Win2000 and then qtparted seemed to be able to deal with it.

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM
$289.99
HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
$280.00
SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$400.00
Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(8x64) 8x15TB NVME 10GbE Rails
$61452.99
Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(16x32) 8x3.84TB NVME 100GbE Rails
$36371.99
Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(8x64) 8x3.84TB NVME 10GbE Rails
$40852.99
Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00