May be you need something like klik, or create your own klik based installation. Can't help you on this. Probono sure can.![]()
![]()
Hi again!
Well, now I have GRUB, which is installed and gonfigured, I have knoppix poor man`s install and it works just fine
But my very important quistion (which causes me problems) is How can I install programs as it`s a poor man`s install and uses file, not partition?
In that case I can`t write to knoppix file system as knopix image file is consistent, but I have persistent home, so how can I install programs there. For exampleall klik`s programs are installed there. How can I do my own program install? I dont know any program language (c, c++ etc.) so is it possible for me to solve this problem? And if it is - HOW???
Thanks in advance!
May be you need something like klik, or create your own klik based installation. Can't help you on this. Probono sure can.![]()
![]()
Probono, would you be so kind to help me, please!
Probono seems to be good about creating new klik 'recipes' when they're requested. I'm sure it depends on the app you're wanting...but it wouldn't hurt to let him know which app(s) you're wanting. Save him the trouble of asking.![]()
You might also want to change your thread title to something that lets probono know that you're asking something klik-related.
Hi morgan73,Originally Posted by morgan73
Sure! Please tell me which app(s) you need and which Knoppix version you are running.
probono
Hi, Morgan. Don't worry about it. If you've set up PH (file or partition - doesn't matter), Klik will take care of you. As far as you're concerned, the home directory (click the house icon) is a mix of My Documents and My Programs. You can save files there, and Klik can install programs there. You don't have to care how the PH is created, so long as it exists, and so long as it is sized to fit your needs. As a matter of fact, if you feel adventurous, you can download and install Linux programs to your PH even without Klik. It's like the old days of Windows and DOS, prior to Win95, in which installing a program meant copying it to the folder of your choice and running the exe file. Now you can't do that in Windows, because of the registry, but in Linux you still can, in many cases. When you extract a program to a folder in your home directory, look for an icon called a shell script - analogous to the exe files of old.Originally Posted by morgan73
The concept of a "home" in linux derives from large, administered multi-user environments, in which each user of the system was allocated hd storage to use (his or her "home directory"). As a user, you didn't have to care how the storage was created, whether it's disk or solid state, or whether it's striped across several different devices. Seems like a strange concept in the PC world, in which the only user is generally the administrator responsible for the system files as well, but it's actually designed to make things simple for you.
In fact, I recently played with a SuSE live CD, which didn't allow for any user-level access to the drives. All you had was your home. After Knoppix, I found it extremely frustrating not to have access to documents on my disk, because I knew that they were there. Once you achieve a certain level of competency and responsibility in administering your system, well-intentioned efforts to make things easy actually make things harder. I enthusiastically returned to Knoppix!
In sum, you're thinking too hard.Relax and enjoy one of the rare occasions in which Linux (through use of the PH) has made things easy.
![]()
jd
I`ve just tried to install Opera but with no success( The shell script didn`t work. And there are many other programs that I can`t install. I know that it is no possible to ask Probono to make klik for every program I met in tne Internet. That`s why I want to learn myself to make such kliks, or to find another way to install applications. Thanks for all your advices!!! And if anybody can solve this problem - please write to me!
*edited* (DIdn't see this was in hd-install.)
I've noticed that clicking a shell script doesn't work, try opening up a shell and manually starting it. (Go to the directory and then type the name of the shell script. You can need to type ./ before the name though.
I think if probono is kind enough to create tutorial on how to make klik recipes, it will greatly appreciated. It wll make "klik" community grow faster.
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller
$68.99