I think freevo is exactly what you need. It has some additional features as well, but it also does what you describe.
Greetings,
How many people want to play their MP3s, Video, and pictures in the living room? Just about everyone. I tried buying a 'prepacked' solution called PRISMIQ (http://www.prismiq.com) and had dismal results. I returned both units to NewEgg frustrated. So time to build my own.
I want to build a 'thin client' for the living room, something that could just sit there with a mapped drive or something to another Linux server with all my media files. I've purchased the following:
Antec Minuet Mini ITX Case
EPIA VIA ME6000 (600mhz fanless)
256MB DDR RAM
CD-ROM Drive
Notice no hard drive. I was thinking of using Knoppix from the CD-ROM to boot up the machine and bring up an interface similar to MythTV but without all the PVR stuff.
Has anyone put together a Knoppix disc that would boot and goto a screen that would allow you to pick from Music, Photos, Videos, and Web? Any thoughts or comments much appreciated, thanks!
Matt
I think freevo is exactly what you need. It has some additional features as well, but it also does what you describe.
Have you checked http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/i...oppMythInstall? It is a knoppix based mythtv live CD. It sounds like it has the functionality you are looking for.
I hope this helps.
James
Thanks for the replys, that KnoppMyth looks pretty cool. Downloaded it this morning, I'll let you know how the install goes. The site says you can create a backend KnoppMyth and then a front end KnoppMyth that runs from the CD, PERFECT! Now I've just gotta get it running. Thanks.

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64
Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99