Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: my poor man's install setup

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    Just wondering what you want to do though ? Just package a loopback rootfs and move it around and you have your desktop with you all the time. Put that on a portable USB 2.0 disk enclosure.
    A very good suggestion, in fact I wonder why "big" distros (such as SuSE) don't offer their installation this way. Add in on-the-fly hardware detection... and there we go. As long as I can mount the loopback rootfs read-only, which is a quite important aspect for me.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    Just wondering what you want to do though ? Just package a loopback rootfs and move it around and you have your desktop with you all the time. Put that on a portable USB 2.0 disk enclosure.
    A very good suggestion, in fact I wonder why "big" distros (such as SuSE) don't offer their installation this way. Add in on-the-fly hardware detection... and there we go. As long as I can mount the loopback rootfs read-only, which is a quite important aspect for me.
    I have a script sitting somewhere which can be dropped into any standard debian setup(rootfs) which will make it run with mounting RO. I did that last year when I was toying this debian with me anywhere.

    BTW, the booting from NTFS has been solved too. The was what I did last year :

    1. carry a portable 2.5" USB disk wich is just FAT with my kernel, initrd and rootfs plus the w32grub I wrote

    2. On any WIN32 machine, I just run w32grub to install grub there which can be launched from boot.ini(thus no change to its boot sequence)

    3. copy over my stuff to a temp directory(either NTFS or FAT32 is fine)

    4. reboot the machine and choose grub which allows me to boot into my desktop right away. everything I want is there.

    5. when I want to go, just goes back to XP and wipe the temp directory and the boot.ini entry(well that can be left there).

    A variant of this for those paranoid, use encrypted looopback driver so you can encrypt the whole rootfs and enter the password when linux boot up. This way, no one will be able to even peek into your things, even they take the HD to NSA(I assume).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Poor Man's DVD Install
    By xfiles in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2005, 06:20 AM
  2. Floppy for Poor Man's Install?
    By bigkahuna in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 08:22 PM
  3. How To boot without CD after Poor Man's Install
    By prehis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 04:44 AM
  4. 3.4/2.6.6 Poor Man's (to/fromhd) install; boot with USB?
    By j.drake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 07:51 AM
  5. Poor man's install???
    By Obsidian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 06:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$325.99



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8 picture

VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8

$34.95



Vintage Teac FD-55GFV-07-U 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-55GFV-07-U 5.25" 1.2MB high density floppy drive 5178

$55.00



VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC picture

VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC

$24.95



Vintage Emagic Logic 5 / Logic Audio 4.0 Studio Software Box Manuals Serial picture

Vintage Emagic Logic 5 / Logic Audio 4.0 Studio Software Box Manuals Serial

$89.99



Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS picture

Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS

$224.99



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00