-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
garyng
Just wondering what you want to do though ? Just package a loopback rootfs and move it around and you have your desktop with you all the time. Put that on a portable USB 2.0 disk enclosure.
A very good suggestion, in fact I wonder why "big" distros (such as SuSE) don't offer their installation this way. Add in on-the-fly hardware detection... and there we go. As long as I can mount the loopback rootfs read-only, which is a quite important aspect for me.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
probono

Originally Posted by
garyng
Just wondering what you want to do though ? Just package a loopback rootfs and move it around and you have your desktop with you all the time. Put that on a portable USB 2.0 disk enclosure.
A very good suggestion, in fact I wonder why "big" distros (such as SuSE) don't offer their installation this way. Add in on-the-fly hardware detection... and there we go. As long as I can mount the loopback rootfs read-only, which is a quite important aspect for me.
I have a script sitting somewhere which can be dropped into any standard debian setup(rootfs) which will make it run with mounting RO. I did that last year when I was toying this debian with me anywhere.
BTW, the booting from NTFS has been solved too. The was what I did last year :
1. carry a portable 2.5" USB disk wich is just FAT with my kernel, initrd and rootfs plus the w32grub I wrote
2. On any WIN32 machine, I just run w32grub to install grub there which can be launched from boot.ini(thus no change to its boot sequence)
3. copy over my stuff to a temp directory(either NTFS or FAT32 is fine)
4. reboot the machine and choose grub which allows me to boot into my desktop right away. everything I want is there.
5. when I want to go, just goes back to XP and wipe the temp directory and the boot.ini entry(well that can be left there).
A variant of this for those paranoid, use encrypted looopback driver so you can encrypt the whole rootfs and enter the password when linux boot up. This way, no one will be able to even peek into your things, even they take the HD to NSA(I assume).
Similar Threads
-
By xfiles in forum Knoppix DVD
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-02-2005, 06:20 AM
-
By bigkahuna in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-13-2005, 08:22 PM
-
By prehis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-15-2004, 04:44 AM
-
By j.drake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-29-2004, 07:51 AM
-
By Obsidian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-28-2003, 06:34 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD
$100.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00